Rebuilding wheelset to tubeless rim

tomee

Rebuilding wheelset to tubeless rim

Postby tomee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Looking to convert my climbing wheelset to Tubeless.

Currently running curve 24mm carbon rims with CX Ray spokes and white industry hubs.
I'm happy with the spokes and hubs but wish to run Tubeless.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight rim to build them on that is available to Australia?

mikgit

Re: Rebuilding wheelset to tubeless rim

Postby mikgit » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

just loads of gorrilla tape on your current rims... or just a tubeless conversion kit (few more $$$)
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:17 pm

I was thinking of that but the rims don't have the rim bead. Not sure if that's an important thing for Tubeless.

I'd also want to run thicker rim profile

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:58 pm

tomee wrote:I was thinking of that but the rims don't have the rim bead. Not sure if that's an important thing for Tubeless.
then how do you mount your tyres now?
I'm not a tubeless guy (have a few sets of rims (mtb and road), but still run tubes). But from what ive seen, ghetto setup is just add sealant tape, mount tyres pour in goop, inflate.
But that way you can mount them see what you think, then go build new rims, you might never do it, or think thats the better way to go.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

tomee

Postby tomee » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 pm

sorry i wasn't clear enough, im talking about the rim hook as i thought tubeless tyres needed this to stay into place.
Some can argue that the pressure makes the tyre stay on the rim, but i like to think the hook provides more security

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:55 pm

I run bead hookless on my MTB no problems. However I run a maximum of 25psi, on the rear. They have never burped despite barrelling pretty fast though some very rugged and rock-strewn trails.

Another option is to see if Bontrager has a rim strip to suit, as theirs mimics the profile of the original UST standard and is in my view best-in-class for tubeless conversion. Better even than Stan's tubeless rims, which are widely regarded as the gold standard.

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:44 pm

trailgumby wrote: Another option is to see if Bontrager has a rim strip to suit, as theirs mimics the profile of the original UST standard and is in my view best-in-class for tubeless conversion. Better even than Stan's tubeless rims, which are widely regarded as the gold standard.
I thought Bontrager strips are made for Bontrager rims only?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 pm

tomee wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Another option is to see if Bontrager has a rim strip to suit, as theirs mimics the profile of the original UST standard and is in my view best-in-class for tubeless conversion. Better even than Stan's tubeless rims, which are widely regarded as the gold standard.
I thought Bontrager strips are made for Bontrager rims only?
Worked fine in my Mavic rims. Better than fine, actually. I was quite impressed.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 pm

tomee wrote:Looking to convert my climbing wheelset to Tubeless.
Care to let us know why you'd do such a thing?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:47 pm

American Classic ACRD 2218 is light at 375gr but is only 22mm wide
Velocity Quill at a supposed 415 gr is one of the lightest rims out here thats a reasonable width. I recently built a set of Hed Belgium C2 650c using cx-rays and AC hubs with a weight of 1340gms
The Quill rims are lighter than the Heds so I'd expect a wheelset to weigh in at 1320grms using 20/24 spokes. You wouldn't want to be a big guy though :-)
I'm using Hed C+ tubeless rims with Schwalbe Pro Ones and they are fantastic. I'm using CK hubs and lots of spokes though because I'm not a lightweight

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 pm

geoffs wrote:American Classic ACRD 2218 is light at 375gr but is only 22mm wide
Velocity Quill at a supposed 415 gr is one of the lightest rims out here thats a reasonable width. I recently built a set of Hed Belgium C2 650c using cx-rays and AC hubs with a weight of 1340gms
The Quill rims are lighter than the Heds so I'd expect a wheelset to weigh in at 1320grms using 20/24 spokes. You wouldn't want to be a big guy though :-)
I'm using Hed C+ tubeless rims with Schwalbe Pro Ones and they are fantastic. I'm using CK hubs and lots of spokes though because I'm not a lightweight
thanks geoff.
Will give them a look.
Where did you source from?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 pm

I have a set of Stans Crest Mk2 rims for sale if you're interested. Interior width is I think 21mm, and they're reasonably light. The downside is they are 32 spoke and not at all aero in profile. Oh, and they're disc specific

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm

I buy Hed and Velocity rims direct but you could give prowheelbuider a try ? Bike24 does cx-ray at good prices

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:41 pm

trailgumby wrote:I have a set of Stans Crest Mk2 rims for sale if you're interested. Interior width is I think 21mm, and they're reasonably light. The downside is they are 32 spoke and not at all aero in profile. Oh, and they're disc specific
Thanks, did a quick search and it looks like the don't like anything above 39psi

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. They are a mtb specific rim so I suppose that explains it.

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 am

looking at the bike24 website, The DT Swiss 411 rims have my fancy as they are relatively light.
I've never seen asymmetric profile before
https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims ... asymmetric

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

There's a few rims around that are asymetric. How much difference it really makes I'm not sure, but it looks like a good idea.
I'm ordering some Velocity Quills to build up for someone who wants to try them so I'll be interested to see how they go. I trued up a pair of factory built Velocity Aileron's last week. The Spoke tension was all over the place with 3 non-drive side spokes just rattling around they were so loose and yet the wheel was still fairly true. Must be a strong rim