Which tyres?

Neddysmith

Which tyres?

Postby Neddysmith » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 am

Hey Guys,

Im new to this road cycling caper, but so far am really liking it, so if you could bare with me and some of the noob questions which may be coming from me itd be great.

Anyways, I am currently running Conti Gatorskins, no idea what size, but the bike was second hand and the rear tyre while still has some life left looks to be running low.

So i was gonna start looking around and researching a replacement set, i usually am a fan of if it aint broke done fix type mentality so my initial thought was to replace like with like.

I know there are a million other options out there, so happy to hear what others would recommend to replace with or to still with the Gatroskins.

Also what size 23, 25, 28??? and what is the main difference?

Cheers for giving a chop out to a noob

g-boaf

Re: Which tyres?

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 am

I've always used Continental GP4000S or GP4000S II (the current generation) in 23mm or 25mm form.

They give okay puncture protection and good grip even in the wet.

The 25mm will give you a bit more compliance than 23mm, and you should be able to run them with a little less pressure. 28mm might depend on if your bike supports those wide tyres. I suspect my road bike might not, and my TT bike won't take 25mm either.

GCN has a bit of information: https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/vi ... aintenance

I haven't found any appreciable speed/rolling differences between 23mm or 25mm, but 23mm feels pretty harsh.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 pm

I wasn't a fan of Gators in the end so tried some others. I found Duranos better. Now I'm trying Schwalbe Ones, which have more grip and less rolling resistance than Duranos. They are similar to Conti GP 4000 IIs. If you find these more race orientated tyres don't offer enough puncture protection, then you could try something with more protection on just the rear. Since rear tyres usually get the lion's share of punctures.

As for width, as said it comes down to how wide your frame will allow. 25s work well for most people these days, or 23s with wider rims as in my case (which measures about 25). If you're heavy and/or the terrain is rougher, then 28s would be worth a try if they fit.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm

I happen to like the Gators; they're tough and I find, while admittedly stiffer and less grippy than racier tyres, they're less compromised on those aspects than some other tough tyres.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Duck! wrote:I happen to like the Gators; they're tough and I find, while admittedly stiffer and less grippy than racier tyres, they're less compromised on those aspects than some other tough tyres.

Agree, although now using GP 4 Seasons on my roadie and Gators on my commuter.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2014 Avanti Blade 3

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm not a fan of Gatorskins. Sure they are supposed to provide excellent puncture resistance but you pay a huge price in terms of rolling resistance and grip (especially in the wet). I've found the Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 a better tyre than the Gatorskin since it has very good puncture protection and grip but 25% less rolling resistance. The Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 is my choice of tyre on the rear with a Schwalbe One on the front (25mm in both cases).

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Neddysmith wrote:Also what size 23, 25, 28??? and what is the main difference?

Two possible answers
a) the same size you have now
or
b) the fattest things that will fit with 3mm space left (for flex)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 am

I fit a lot of Vittoria Zaffiro and Rubino. Nice tyre in 28 and cost effective, also available as 23 or 25. Have some Schwalbe Durano in 25 on some Shimano r540 rims which are ok but not as nice as the Vittorias. Have just fitted some Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x25 on a Kennedy but haven't ridden yet. Complete pita to fit though compared to the Zaffiros. I like 28s wherever I can because 19th Century Melb roads and better handling/braking.
mmm, BioPace

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:50 pm

To continue this thread.

My experiment with Gatorskins is over, looking to move to something that rides a little better & is grippier.
My brother in law has been trying to convince me to buy some Michelin Power Competition tyres.
So looking for more feedback on these in 25mm. Not that I don't trust him :)

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 pm

get the new pirelli's... you can be our guinea pig...
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Since I can no longer get Marathon Supreme in 28mm I have similar questions.

Just had 2 punctures in 2 days on Duranos so not real impressed. Seriously thinking of Michelin Power Endurance tyres next, the Pirellis look interesting too.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 am

mikgit wrote:get the new pirelli's... you can be our guinea pig...

Too expensive at the moment. Would need a bit of convincing to go that way :D $$$$$$$$

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:To continue this thread.

My experiment with Gatorskins is over, looking to move to something that rides a little better & is grippier.
My brother in law has been trying to convince me to buy some Michelin Power Competition tyres.
So looking for more feedback on these in 25mm. Not that I don't trust him :)

I recently changed from Gatorskins to GP4000s. I have only done 4 or 5 rides on them and it seems that I roll faster. They are definitely more supple, to the point where they can even be a bit "bouncy" compared to what I am used to.

No idea on puncture protection, yet, but I am very happy so far.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am

I roll GP4000s and find them fantastic - quick, grippy and to be quite honest, the past few years, averaging 15,000KM+ per annum, to be relatively puncture-free. I ride on country roads and most punctures in a year 3 (2015), none last year and one this year, so I reckon they aren't too bad!

Gatorskins, on the other hand, are heavy, slow and slippery - in my experience.

There are other brands, but I've stuck with what has worked well for me.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 am

25mm Maxxix Re-Fuse here.

Kevlar banded and great puncture protection.

Over the course of a years commute I have had 2 flats.

Rode over broken glass and had the rubber tread slashed but still didn't flat. Got home.. albeit I slowed down 'just in case' with a 3cm cut across the tread down to the weave. No flat but did change the tyre due to the damage to the tread.

Another occasion I heard a click click click so stopped to take a look and saw a 5cm nail that had entered the tyre, bounced off the kevlar and exited 2cm later. I needed to get my multitool to pull the sucker out and still no flat.

However... the really fine wire from wire brushes or dead truck tyres... can get through the kevlar weave and does... but in both instances the road was wet, hasn't happened dry, yet.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Been researching over the last few nights.

Both the GP400S II and Michelin Power Competition Tyres have very close rolling resistance figures, at the pressure I like to run, according to Bicycle Rolling Resistance website.
Reports on puncture resistance seem to be the same, but that is very hard to quantify.
Ride quality seems to be close as well.
Conty's are $15 cheaper for a pair.

Decisions, decisions :?:

Edited for punctuation :)

firemac71

Postby firemac71 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm in the same boat a the moment, in two minds between the conti gp 4 seasons or the gatorskins?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 pm

They are tyres which will wear out.
Buy the cheaper or faster.
Either way you will soon get to try the other. :D