Grease Guns

jackthelad

Grease Guns

Postby jackthelad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 pm

i have a 450gm cartridge Gun, and the little gun head, that attaches to grease tubes,
from the bike shops. i find the big one too big for most Jobs, and the little one, not enough,
for multiple bikes, at the cost charged by bike shops/auto shops.
but does anyone here use 85 to 120 gm pistol grip guns, or bulk load guns like the park one
experience please, is the bulk load guns, worth the mess.. effort
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
Ribble Rd Bike

ironhanglider

Re: Grease Guns

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 pm

I use a syringe. No mess just suck the grease up when it's warm and soft.

Cheers,

Cameron

MelodyWheels

Postby MelodyWheels » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 am

I would say grease guns are one of the most undervalued mechanics tools. I was stupid enough to think a cheap one would be fine. I bought a Kincrome 80cc mini grease gun. The first one died after 6 month. I got a warranty replacement... the second one died in 6 months. I then bought a Dualco grease gun and I've used it for two years without fault. I can't recommend them enough. I now have two for different greases. They are hard to get in Australia but there a Motorex branded version of the Dualco grease gun which is more easy to track down. https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Bike-Acces ... -Gun/MGG75

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:53 am

+1 for the syringe, same as ironhanglider (Led Zeppelin tribute band?).
Mmm, SunTour

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 am

+another for syringe. I don't use enough grease to justify a grease gun when a syringe works well and costs 50c. I trimmed off the syringe screw on bit and use a Presta valve cap to keep it from getting everywhere.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm far from a pro mechanic, but I'm going to add another +1 to the syringe crowd.

I kept one which came with some kids Panadol. It's only 5ml, which I find to be plently for most things bike related.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't grease my guns but I do use sunscreen in summer.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:09 pm

i use a cheap grease gun from bunnings, its more like a small version of the large cartridge type ie not like the one posted by MelodyWheels. It does come with its own cartridges, I couldn't find cartridges of lube that i want that fit, so I just pack it with marine grease rather than use the cartridges.

I totally think its worth it. The brand I got is craftright (Cheap bunnings brand) I wouldnt recommend it as I needed to use plumbers tape to seal it all up. I have a sharp nozzle head which is ok and make it work but a longer needle/neck thing on the nozzle would work better I reckon.

I used a syringe before this and it does work, but the grease gun is just nicer to use, pack it less often and takes less hand strength to get the grease out, the nozzle point is smaller on the grease gun too.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:+1 for the syringe, same as ironhanglider (Led Zeppelin tribute band?).

No. It was originally a reference to my riding. "Climbs like a wrought-iron hanglider" was the phrase used to describe me once.

I did develop a talent for descending quickly though, particularly on a tandem.

Cheers,

Cameron

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 pm

The Reason for the Grease Gun, is i run Santa Cruz Bikes, that run Zerk Grease fittings on the lower linkage of the frames.
i have a little needle grease gun, but i refuse to pay 20 odd Dollars for grease from bike shops, than is just repacked and relabelled other grease .
i also Run Chris King Bottom brackets and have the grease fitting, to purge the bearings
i prefer not to be packing a grease gun, as its messy and i live in a flat
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
Ribble Rd Bike

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm

In the End i went with a craftright 85gm mini grease gun, plumbers tape on the top head seal, greased all the threads and pushed it through one of my Santa Cruz Bottom Pivots well. a nice hand grip and the same visually of just about every pistol grip mini gun under $30 on ebay and web, no leaks or issues yet
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
Ribble Rd Bike

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:18 pm

jackthelad wrote:In the End i went with a craftright 85gm mini grease gun, plumbers tape on the top head seal, greased all the threads and pushed it through one of my Santa Cruz Bottom Pivots well. a nice hand grip and the same visually of just about every pistol grip mini gun under $30 on ebay and web, no leaks or issues yet

are you packing it manually? using the craftright grease? or found another source of cartridge grease?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I did develop a talent for descending quickly though, particularly on a tandem.
Cheers,Cameron

Ah, been there, done that :wink:

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:23 pm

Now admittedly I'm out of touch here, not having bought a grease gun for 30 odd years or so but I thought they would have got better?
I have a loose pack no-name I bought from some car shop in circa 1990 which does most stuff (including mowers. cars, motorbikes, bicycles) with no problem. I also have several Tecalmit Grease guns from the 40s-50s which I use (cos I can basically) to do bicycle type stuff and they work fine. No leaks, no dramas.
Not sure what the problem is here other than quality of kit?

Richard

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 pm

Not packing it manually, using the 85 gm cartridges that are available at bunnings and supercheap auto etc, at a reasonable price, and keep it mostly clean operation that way
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
Ribble Rd Bike

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:41 am

Read the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! Manual,
printed by Kincrome
so i would say a kincrome tool, without the fancy paint or finer points
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon