Faulty/broken Garmin grey import - repair options

uad782

Faulty/broken Garmin grey import - repair options

Postby uad782 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi everyone,

In January this year I purchased an Edge 520 from overseas. It was going well until today when I noticed it wasn't charging or connecting to the PC. I tried many cables without success but found that if I forced it hard to one side it would work. To cut a long story short the micro USB now comes a fair way out of the unit so I guess it is broken, definitely by me but caused by a failure before my playing with it.

Garmin make me send it back overseas for warranty but I wonder if it is worthwhile considering I probably have enhanced the problem.

I can send it to Garmin Aus for repair.

It is disappointing it failed so quickly (before I really broke it). IS this normal for Garmin?

Is it worthwhile sending it to Garmin? I really like the 520 but if durability is a problem is there a better brand? I think the 520 only cost my $220. Cost here at the time was well over $400.

Patt0

Re: Faulty/broken Garmin grey import - repair options

Postby Patt0 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 pm

you can buy any type micro usb 5 for a dollar off ebay. Can you solder?

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:55 pm

I sure can solder.

However, I can't even open this unit as it has no screws. I have tried prising it open without success.

EDIT: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/402 ... n+Edge+520

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 pm

which retailer? e.g wiggle have a australian address to send returns to. Obviously you may go without a device for a while.

I have had better dealing with online retailers regarding warranty than local stores.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Unfortunately it wasn't any of the big ones. They don't have an Australian address.

I had a go at fixing it with no luck so back to Garmin. Surface mount components are a pain,if not impossible to solder.

Looking at how the plug is mounted I am not surprised it failed. I used to charge it with a hub dynamo and a few times tried to remove it with the usb cable still plugged in. That rotation probably buggered the plug, so lesson learned.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Update:

Garmin now have an international warranty so they honoured my broken grey import here. This is different to what their website says.

When I told them I tried to fix it they said send it in and they will have a look.

A week later I have a refurbished one (looks brand new).

One very happy Garmin customer.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 am

Great result - I, too, had heard that Garmin were fairly amiable to grey imports.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:14 pm

macca33 wrote:Great result - I, too, had heard that Garmin were fairly amiable to grey imports.

cheers

They are now that offshore online sellers have raised prices to equal the inflated Australian price for Garmin products (thanks to pressure from Garmin). Not so much in the past when you could buy Garmin products from overseas at much lower prices.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:53 pm

uad782 wrote:Update:

Garmin now have an international warranty so they honoured my broken grey import here. This is different to what their website says.

When I told them I tried to fix it they said send it in and they will have a look.

A week later I have a refurbished one (looks brand new).

One very happy Garmin customer.

What was the cost ?