Smart Trainer accessories

CoffsGal

Smart Trainer accessories

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Am enjoying my Tacx NEO. Am also getting additional pleasure from adding the little things that make the Neo experience easier. I found I needed a table to hold the laptop etc, but it needed to be at the right height to be able to access it without getting off the bike.

The Wahoo Kickr Desk looks excellent, but that would take a week to arrive and would cost AU$300. So off to the hardware store to purchase some bits and pieces...aluminium tubing, aluminium angle and some mdf board. Total about AU$60...a few cuts and pop rivets later and I had this...

cyclotaur

Re: Smart Trainer accessories

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:55 pm

All you need now is that setup to your control side, and a honkin' big flat screen TV in front.

:D
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Well, actually...
I have already done that. I have moved the trainer closer to the TV (65"), and have put the TV on a swivel bracket on the wall so I can aim it at the trainer. I have the laptop connected to the TV by HDMI. I play a little inspiring music on the laptop (which comes out the TV speakers) and start the trainer video. I then almost shut the lid of the laptop, so it doesn't turn off, and away I go.

I have been using the software from VeloReality.com (free) and play one of there excellent HD videos (about AU$15). Each morning I am taken away to Belgium or Corsica or maybe France. Is a great way to start the day.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Now that I am riding without going anywhere, I don't need a front wheel, so have been investigating options to purchase or make a fork stand of some sort. Didn't really come across anything purpose built, so here is my home made effort.
Visited the LBS (Local Bike Shop) and asked if they had any old wheels fit for throwing out. Received an old front wheel with rusty spokes. Removed the hub and dismantled to extract the threaded axle and cone nuts. Cut a section of the rim and off to the hardware store for some aluminium RHS and tubing (total cost less than $20). A little while later I had this... (and the garden hose is a little shorter too).

The advantage of this design is that it preserves the ability of the bike to sway slightly when out of the saddle. Some other designs have a wide base that will prevent any movement. The Neo's ability to move slightly is a feature I was eager to preserve.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:06 am

Cool DIY! I'm not sure what functionality that front wheel thing gains you though. Seems like extra work to remove and install the front wheel for no benefit.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

Just get a Wahoo Kickr Climb for the front wheel. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am

biker jk wrote:Just get a Wahoo Kickr Climb for the front wheel. :lol:

Yeah, but you are still putting your own bike on the trainer though. I don't know - I still don't like doing that. We were talking about this Wahoo thing during the week.

Interesting idea though, I mean it is a lot different when you are going up a 20%+ gradient compared with a normal 3% or 4%.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am

g-boaf wrote:

Yeah, but you are still putting your own bike on the trainer though. I don't know - I still don't like doing that. We were talking about this Wahoo thing during the week.

Interesting idea though, I mean it is a lot different when you are going up a 20%+ gradient compared with a normal 3% or 4%.

Apparently the new Kickr allows the bike to rotate through the rear axle alleviating stress on the drop out (no doubt a good idea when using with the Climb). Still, I use a cheap allow frame which is permanently on the trainer. Better safe than sorry.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:28 pm

MattyK wrote:Cool DIY! I'm not sure what functionality that front wheel thing gains you though. Seems like extra work to remove and install the front wheel for no benefit.

I have a dedicated trainer bike, so no front wheel needs to be taken off or on, the bike is permanently on the trainer.
With the stand...
1. I no longer have to keep the front tyre inflated
2. The floor space required for the bike and trainer is reduced
3. The wheel can be used on another bike (you do have more than one bike don't you?)
4. If you have a desk with a laptop, it can now be reached without dismounting, where previously that was prevented due to the front wheel protruding

I also had a comment that the spokes on the front wheel can get stressed if the wheel is not regularly rotated to a different position. Sounds plausible, but I haven't read any definitive research that proves or disproves the theory. If that was the case though, then the stand also removes that concern.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:44 pm

The Wahoo Kickr Climb only works with the Wahoo Kickr 2017 version. It requires a rear dropout connection that can rotate (as is the case with the Kickr 2017), else the rear dropouts will be chewed out.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm

CoffsGal wrote:

The Wahoo Kickr Climb only works with the Wahoo Kickr 2017 version. It requires a rear dropout connection that can rotate (as is the case with the Kickr 2017), else the rear dropouts will be chewed out.

Then sell the Neo and buy a Kickr 17. :lol: