Can you see it?

choco27

Can you see it?

Postby choco27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Purchased a new Trek Domane 3 months ago and while adjusting the rear light strap noticed a crack near the bottom of the seat tube mast which comes out of the frame.
Contacted the shop and sent heaps of close up photo's, living 3 hours away and work makes it a bit hard to take the bike in at this stage but for some reason Trek cannot see this crack yet the guys at the shop can from the photos. I asked whether I can still ride it, 2 weeks now and no response from them with no other bike I'm still riding it unless told not too.
The shop has been great Trek have dragged their feet at this stage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY5Rigejg7- ... indoschoco
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY5RLuMDRov ... indoschoco

open roader

Re: Can you see it?

Postby open roader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Yeah, I can see it and I don't like the look of the pic in the top most link, that is a fair highlight/shadow differential.

It still could be a paint de-lamination but it's a thick lift off and looks heavier than a lot of white paint cracks I view online.

Even if it's only a paint crack after 3 months that is simply not good enough and warranty should be pursued.

I'd remove your light bracket and carefully clean any residue off the seatpost then photograph again in broad daylight, pref multiple angles / aspects to illustrate your point then re-submit to Trek and CC the LBS.

Keep a diary of your communications to and from shop and Trek and copies of any photos you send etc as these warranty claims can become epic in my experience.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

choco27

Postby choco27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for your reply, I have taken a lot of pics at different angles and will take your advice in regards to removing the light strap and cleaning the seat post as well.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 pm

I find that some companies get very bolshie if you have 'molested' their product - even with something as simple and fit for purpose as a rear light fitting/clamp and it's best to either not show them that part or remove it to make the viewer focus on what you want them to focus on........... my experience anyhow.

There is no substitute for daylight if you want stark clarity to illustrate in your photos - any camera will do a better job in bright daylight.

Have you tried tapping the area lightly with a heavy nail or similar to listen if the tone of the carbon sounds different in the affected area. If it does, I'd not be riding it until your LBS gives a definitive diagnosis.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

choco27

Postby choco27 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm

open roader wrote:I find that some companies get very bolshie if you have 'molested' their product - even with something as simple and fit for purpose as a rear light fitting/clamp and it's best to either not show them that part or remove it to make the viewer focus on what you want them to focus on........... my experience anyhow.

There is no substitute for daylight if you want stark clarity to illustrate in your photos - any camera will do a better job in bright daylight.

Have you tried tapping the area lightly with a heavy nail or similar to listen if the tone of the carbon sounds different in the affected area. If it does, I'd not be riding it until your LBS gives a definitive diagnosis.
Mate to the letter they mention the rear light clamp may have caused the "clear coat" to crack what a farken joke the clamp is soft plastic and there's no way it would exert that much force to do that if it did then their build is crap. Anyway I agreed to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse and take it into the shop when I get a chance so they can have a proper look, does anyone know who could give me a 2nd opinion in Adelaide when I'm down there?