11 speed freehub conversion body not a perfect fit - help!

open roader

11 speed freehub conversion body not a perfect fit - help!

Postby open roader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I went for plan 'B' and tried to save some $$$ which may have backfired on me.

On my MTB rear wheel I have I believe to be a Novatec D772SB rear MTB hub which I want to convert to 11 speed. I spent many hours (and I mean many hours) looking for the correct replacement body as there are plenty of options out there and some have very minor discrepancies...........

I purchased what I believed to be the correct conversion freehub via an AliExpress vendor who was very helpful with the initial purchase of an 11sp. conversion body and in his defence is yet to have had time to reply to my query so he may come up trumps with a solution however, I'm asking the experienced folk here at BNA what gives..........

The 11sp. conversion freehub I purchased is not quite a perfect fit in so far as when I assemble it back onto the axle and tighten the end caps the axle has a much stiffer action and requires significant more effort to spin compared to the old 10sp. body.

I've taken a closer look at both bodies and I've found that the 11sp. body has what I'd describe as a 'lower flange profile' and thus would not quite sit perfectly inside the hub cavity.

The difference is def. real (see below 10sp. on the left and 11sp. version on the right) albeit about 0.5 - 0.6 of a millimeter. My question now is - where do I go now in search of the correct freehub body replacement. My mind has gone boggle as to what to do, where to look and how to nail down the correct part.

I contacted Novatec USA direct and they never replied to my three emails so that is both crap PR and a dead end. I'm beginning to think maybe I should have gone with plan 'A' and forked out for a new 11sp. ready rear hub?

Any technical assistance would be most welcome as I have come to the end of my tether..........

3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

open roader

Re: 11 speed freehub conversion body not a perfect fit - help!

Postby open roader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Just found another obvious difference to these freehub bodies but this diiference I can't see how it contributes to the axle being bound up when I fit the 11sp. freehub..........

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 pm

For MTB you don't need to change the freewheel body unless you're using a road cassette or a SRAM cassette with 10T top gear (which use a specific freewheel body). The back of the MTB 11-sp. cassette is dished so at the core it is the same width as 8/9/10-sp.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 am

Duck! wrote:For MTB you don't need to change the freewheel body

Doh!

I'm asking the wrong questions.............

Thanks Duck for the definitive answer (again) :oops: