A strange ticking sound

as7431

A strange ticking sound

Postby as7431 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am

All

My bike has developed a strange ticking sounds that sounds exactly like the wheel magnet is bumping the sensor every rotation, but it only happens when not pedaling and only when the drive side pedal is down. Over the weekend I gave the bike a once over which included BB service (threaded ultegra 6700 BB was removed, bearing cleaned and repacked), removed and cleaned cassette and chain, general clean of frame. Ticking developed soon after (second ride after)

Here is a summary - anyone got any ideas where to look. The fact that it only happens when not pedaling and when the pedals are at a specific position has be beat.

1. Ticking sound which appears to be speed related (ie faster ticking at faster speeds)
2. Only happens when NOT pedaling and the right (drive-side) pedal is between about 5 and 7o'clock positions
3. Magnet is about 5mm from sensor
4. Standing up makes no difference
5. Removing foot from pedal (MTB spds) appears to make no difference
6. Wheels are Fulcrum Quattros and are only about 6 months old
7. Full utegra groupset with about 12k km on it.
8. I have checked/adjusted the quick release and it is ok

Ta

Tim

jackthelad

Re: A strange ticking sound

Postby jackthelad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 pm

chainring bolts, greased and torqued?
pedal threads ,
quick releases greased...
cassette lockring, might be loose, you wouldn't hear it if pedalling
have you got the right spacing on your BB/Frame... is the crank arm fully preloaded?
it may not be preloading bearing properly, if not enough spacers behind BB shell 1, 2.5 spacer each side for 68mm BB , 1 i believe for 73mm shell non driveside, i may be wrong.. google is your freind
SantaCruz Blur LTC
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
BrandX/Fuji Rd Bike
SantaCruz Chameleon SingleSpeed

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 pm

jackthelad wrote: if not enough spacers behind BB shell 1, 2.5 spacer each side for 68mm BB , 1 i believe for 73mm shell non driveside, i may be wrong.. google is your freind

No spacers for road BBs. Also no 73mm; Italian threads are 70mm, and different bore diameter.

Noise only while freewheeling points to the rear hub, specifically the freewheel system. Crank position makes it weird though. If the bike is on the workstand, or you unclip both feet, does the rear wheel try to keep driving the crank or cause slack in the chain (chainsuck) if you hlod the crank still? Any of these point to a displaced ratchet pawl in the hub. Campag/Fulcrum hubs have a quite a fine retaining spring on the pawls, which is prone to breaking, which will cause a range of weird noises and behaviours from the hub as the pawls are displaced.

It's not difficult to check/service. Remove the reverse-threaded end cap from the drive-side end of the axle - you do not even need to remove the cassette. Pull the freewheel body & cassette gently away from the hub, rotating backwards slightly to depress the pawls. Some model axles have a triangular flange around the axle and matching hole in the back of the freewheel body, in which case you'll need to rotate the axle to align the lobes and fully remove the freewheel body. The three pawls should come out with the freewheel, held in place by the encircling spring. If the spring has broken they may fall out separately, or at least not spring out to their engaged position, instead remaining flat. Replacement springs are not difficult to get. To reassemble, oil the pawls, and reassemble in the reverse process.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 pm

what he said
Road Bike Tinkering low on my technical skills
SantaCruz Blur LTC
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
BrandX/Fuji Rd Bike

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 pm

as7431 wrote:3. Magnet is about 5mm from sensor

The reed switch inside the Garmin GSC10 sensor arm can work loose and begins to click as the magnet goes past.
And then it stops working.

Just a thought.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks for the replies and ideas. Some things to look at. I will remove the speed/cadence sensor completely to see if that changes anything. Will also check the freewheel, chain suck, bolts, drop outs etc

A job for the w/end

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm

I remember one member writing that his shoe lace was hitting as he peddled..... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:07 am

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:27 am

outnabike wrote:I remember one member writing that his shoe lace was hitting as he peddled..... :)

A guy on a group ride a couple of weeks ago was having a weird ticking noise. After we all paid attention for some time, and he tried pedalling/coasting etc etc to try and diagnose it, we finally worked out that the end of his FD gear cable (with the little end cap) had been bent out of its usual position. It was just long enough to reach the rear wheel and just catch on each spoke as it went past.

At least that was an easy fix.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am

Again, more things to look at,thanks. The thing I can not understand is the pedal position dependence.

edsa

Postby edsa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:03 pm

I had something similar with my bike with a new frame. There would be a ticking sound when put my weight on the drive side crank and freewheeled.

Checked on the stand and the garmin and magnet were of sufficient distance and didn't click on the stand. It turned out that when I shifted my weight (I'm a fairly heavy rider) to the drive side crank (the crank would be in the 6 o'clock position), there was sufficient flex in the wheel and frame that the magnet did come in contact with the sensor. Moved the two a bit further away and now its not ticking anymore.

Quick way to test in your situation is to remove the magnet and take it for a ride to see if the ticking is still there.

Hope this helps.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Went for a ride over the weekend before I had a chance to do any serious investigations, other than move the sensor slightly out. Problem seems to be solved, so maybe related to magnet/weight distribution/wheel flex.

Thanks all for your help

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:06 am

edsa wrote:It turned out that when I shifted my weight (I'm a fairly heavy rider) to the drive side crank (the crank would be in the 6 o'clock position), there was sufficient flex in the wheel and frame that the magnet did come in contact with the sensor. Moved the two a bit further away and now its not ticking anymore.

Quick way to test in your situation is to remove the magnet and take it for a ride to see if the ticking is still there.

Hope this helps.

Yep, positional dependent faults, think frame flex.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 am

YW,
Now you can go looking for the imaginary sounds we have all suggested
SantaCruz Blur LTC
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
BrandX/Fuji Rd Bike

AUbicycles
Site Admin