Damaged Carbon Fork - Repair or Replace?

4xsama

Damaged Carbon Fork - Repair or Replace?

Postby 4xsama » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:32 am

Hi,

The forks on my bike, Bianchi Sempre 105, were damaged recently by a removalist (Kent). The damage is a gouge (through abrasion by the looks) about 1.5-2mm deep and 15-20mm long. The bike was also transported without the wheel in so I don't know what other damage has occurred but a scan should pick that up. They (Kent) want me to get the fork scanned to see if it is repairable. If it is I'm guessing they will push for that outcome. Advice from the importer is to replace (don't repair). I don't particularly want a repair job either because;

- The bike will be severely devalued if I ever want to sell it (apart from the fork it is in really good condition),
- I doubt I will have the ability to enjoy the bike again given the bike importers comments and the general consensus you replace damaged forks and bars. Each time I go for the brakes hard or down a hill I'll be thinking 'what if',
- If the bike is repairable the repair will be a patch and bandage job (so will be obviously repaired),
- And I have a replacement policy on my move.

The bad news for Kent is the actual forks are no longer available so the whole frame needs replacing. I am pushing for a full replacement.

Has anyone had a similar type of damage or any idea how the fork can be repaired. If the fork can be re-filled, re-painted and signed of with 100% surety I will still have a repaired fork so the value will be diminished but at least the bike will look and ride ok.

Cheers

https://i.imgur.com/HPwJo3X.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2FXjB9t.jpg

g-boaf

Re: Damaged Carbon Fork - Repair or Replace?

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:33 pm

4xsama wrote:Hi,

The forks on my bike, Bianchi Sempre 105, were damaged recently by a removalist (Kent). The damage is a gouge (through abrasion by the looks) about 1.5-2mm deep and 15-20mm long. The bike was also transported without the wheel in so I don't know what other damage has occurred but a scan should pick that up. They (Kent) want me to get the fork scanned to see if it is repairable. If it is I'm guessing they will push for that outcome. Advice from the importer is to replace (don't repair). I don't particularly want a repair job either because;

- The bike will be severely devalued if I ever want to sell it (apart from the fork it is in really good condition),
- I doubt I will have the ability to enjoy the bike again given the bike importers comments and the general consensus you replace damaged forks and bars. Each time I go for the brakes hard or down a hill I'll be thinking 'what if',
- If the bike is repairable the repair will be a patch and bandage job (so will be obviously repaired),
- And I have a replacement policy on my move.

The bad news for Kent is the actual forks are no longer available so the whole frame needs replacing. I am pushing for a full replacement.

Has anyone had a similar type of damage or any idea how the fork can be repaired. If the fork can be re-filled, re-painted and signed of with 100% surety I will still have a repaired fork so the value will be diminished but at least the bike will look and ride ok.

Cheers

https://i.imgur.com/HPwJo3X.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2FXjB9t.jpg

Go and talk to Tristan at Carbon Bike Doctor:

http://carbonbikedoctor.com/Company

He is a very good. I would also be wary of fixing a fork. Replacing the entire bike would be the best solution. Remove all uncertainty.

I had a bike with a damaged fork, but I replaced the fork - the bike shop still had the same type of fork.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:44 pm

4xsama wrote:The bad news for Kent is the actual forks are no longer available so the whole frame needs replacing. I am pushing for a full replacement.

I love your optimism, and patience.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:56 pm

A good repair will be indistinguishable from the original condition, and at least the match of original strength.

Although I can't make a definitive assessment from a photo, it appears to me the damage is cosmetic only.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Duck! wrote:A good repair will be indistinguishable from the original condition, and at least the match of original strength.

Although I can't make a definitive assessment from a photo, it appears to me the damage is cosmetic only.

It's a bit hard to see in the photo but the damage is through the gel coat and into the weave.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:48 am

Sorry. Another query. What would the second hand value of a 2013 Sempre be. It is in excellent condition. Alternatively, what would be the value of a Sempre with repaired forks.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:08 pm

if they want you to get a scan done, I would get it done - so long as they're paying for it. what you do after then depends on negotiation and results of the scan.

scans aren't cheap and I doubt it's cost-effective compared to just replacing the fork. strictly speaking it doesn't need to be the same model fork. there are plenty of alternatives.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm pretty confident that would be perfectly fine. If it was near the fork crown or there were disc brake mounting lugs near there I would be more concerned. A quality repair in that location will be likely to last the life of the bike.

Look up Raoul Luescher in Melbourne. Ex aviation composites engineer, he has the appropriate ultrasound equipment for testing. I believe he warrants his repairs for 5 years. The most expensive part will likely be matching the paint.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:03 pm

If it were me and the damage is truly at face/pic value then I'd write it down to one of life's annoyances and have it repaired and re-painted. I would ride that fork once repaired if it's just the gouge and nothing more.

trailgumby wrote: The most expensive part will likely be matching the paint.

+1 The gouge is right in an uber tricky high detail spot but I have a bloke who has done carbon repair and re-paint for me twice before - he is very good at this sort of minute detail thing - his work was good enough on the first job that you really had to be looking for the ever so slight imperfection where his work cuts back into the original finish and the second job he did was virtually impossible to detect - so high quality finish repairs are do-able and there must be several other high profile places that will do as well as my repairer.

I've ridden a Sempre frame before, it's a lovely ride - I'd repair it at your own cost and not spend a calorie of energy fighting the removalists.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

trailgumby wrote:Look up Raoul Luescher in Melbourne. Ex aviation composites engineer, he has the appropriate ultrasound equipment for testing. I believe he warrants his repairs for 5 years. The most expensive part will likely be matching the paint.

+1 to Raoul (www.luescherteknik.com.au); I've referred work to him on several occasions, and it is absolutely top-notch. One line he likes to use is , "if you've ever flown on a commercial aircraft, you've flown with repaired composites". If carbon repair is OK for commercial avaition, where the safety standards are extremely high, then it's well & truly fine for a bike.

Carbon composite is one of the most readily repairable materials used in the bike world; steel is also good, aluminium is compromised by the concentrated heat from welding, and titanium is just plain difficult to work with.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.