Campy Nuovo Record Crank Cracked!

HausFinch

Campy Nuovo Record Crank Cracked!

Postby HausFinch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi All,
I've just taken off one of my favorite parts to my old lugged Columbus steel road bike. It seems the crank has got the beginnings of a tiny crack where the spider meets the arm. The question I have now is . . . what do I do with it? Frame it? Hang it on the wall as a reminder of all the miles we did together? I can't chuck it in the bin but it's not right to leave it sitting in a box in the garage for my kid to have to throw away someday. What would you do with such an artifact? It still looks beautiful, hardly a scratch on it.
Just wonderin. Thanks for your opinions.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Campy Nuovo Record Crank Cracked!

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 pm

What about making a clock out of it? Pretty sure clock mechanisms are pretty easy to get hold of (my late grandfather who was a woodworker used to make stacks of clocks, so they can't be hard to get!). Might need to get a little creative to extend the spindle enough to reach through the butt of the crank to attach the hands, and a disc of opaque perspex between the crank & clock mech to hide it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

HausFinch

Postby HausFinch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Well, I kind of like that idea. So the crank can sit in a box out in the garage until I can work out the clock details. That could be a while. Like decades. Or . . . i could mount it to the disk like you suggest, and hang it on the wall as if it's a clock, and then work out the clock details later. I'm a furniture maker, so I can figure something out along those lines. Might have to get some spokes involved. . . .
Thanks, Duck!

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

This is a very common failure point of these cranks. It occurs due to the stress riser at that junction (both sides), as the region has a tiny ridge in the final casting (where the stress accumulates).

If the crack is not too far progressed (i.e. just starting) then take a very small diameter file (3-4mm), and file the ridge away. Filing 2-3mm is all you need. If the crack is not too far progressed, you will now have removed the crack (being the zenith of the stress riser) and you may be able to continue riding these for many years to come.

The added benefit being that the ridge is now removed and stresses are better dissipated.

HausFinch

Postby HausFinch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks Velo13, now I feel somewhat obliged to take a crack at fixing the thing. It's such a tiny start of a fracture I wouldn't have even seen it but a mechanic who was looking over my bike squinted and pointed it out and said "watch out for that." But I had a backup dura ace 7402 crank in really good nick so I just popped that on instead. So either way I'll have one extra crankset lying around. It sounds like your method has a good chance of fixing the problem, so I'll find the right round file and take some alloy off the curve there. Then hang it on the wall for now.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 am

Have a close look at pictures of these cranks for sale on eBay, etc.

Half of them have been filed, the other half have a tiny (or larger) crack ....

Sounds like you can get to them in time.