Really stiff kids grip shifter

Mububban

Really stiff kids grip shifter

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:07 pm

I bought my 6yo a second hand Haro 20 inch MTB from Gumtree, and the Shimano 1x7 TZ revoshift twist shifter is so stiff going up the cassette that when we hit hills, he has to stop, and I have to lean down and give it a really hard twist to get into the easiest gear.
He can rotate it forwards into the faster smaller gears, but struggles to get it back up the cassette. 3 or 2 is about his limit before I have to do it for him.

It's definitely not apples to apples, but my daughter's new Reid 24 inch bike has a Shimano Tourney 1x7 grip shifter, and the action on that is smooth and light. Even her skinny arms can shift into the easy gears herself.

Is this the nature of cheap grip shifters, or does it just need a new cable or some lube? I've never messed with derailleur cables before.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ValleyForge

Re: Really stiff kids grip shifter

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 pm

I've swapped out SRAM shifters on kids bikes because the Revoshift is so good.

Given what I know of the mechanism and the likely level of care and attention given an average kids 20" MTB - it will be gummed up. Replace like for like ( cable & shifter) is quick and lazy; stripping both then cleaning & lubing is much more satisfying.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:04 am

Check the cable inner and outer. Shimano's RevoShift grip shifters are generally not too bad as far as grip shifts go; some other cheap rubbish that populates that end of the market is truly dreadful.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 am

I just got given an old 20 inch bike with revoshift by a workmate for spare parts, so I'll try and pull that apart as practise as it too is stiff getting into the biggest cogs. If I can do that without butchering it I'll give it a go on my son's bike.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 am

My kids' mountain bikes came with twist shifters and they were hard to use, especially the front derailleur. They complained about how hard it was to shift into a larger cog. I tried new cables and outers without any noticeable improvement. I changed them to thumb shifters and my children have never complained about problems with shifting since.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:30 am

ValleyForge wrote:stripping both then cleaning & lubing is much more satisfying.

What do you use for lube? I've got INOX and WD40 in my toolbox. I'm planning on buying some PTFE dry lube soon.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 am

ball bearing wrote:My kids' mountain bikes came with twist shifters and they were hard to use, especially the front derailleur. They complained about how hard it was to shift into a larger cog. I tried new cables and outers without any noticeable improvement. I changed them to thumb shifters and my children have never complained about problems with shifting since.

How old were your kids, and how much did the thumb shifters cost? My boy's turning 7 in a few weeks.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm

ball bearing wrote:My kids' mountain bikes came with twist shifters and they were hard to use, especially the front derailleur. They complained about how hard it was to shift into a larger cog. I tried new cables and outers without any noticeable improvement. I changed them to thumb shifters and my children have never complained about problems with shifting since.

I gave up on the front derailleur and told them to stick with the middle ring. Its enough range for 90% of the riding they are doing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Mububban wrote:

How old were your kids, and how much did the thumb shifters cost? My boy's turning 7 in a few weeks.

My son was almost 7 when I changed them over.

This is what I bought - except they are 6 speed. 6 Speed is still available.

"Shimano SL-TX50 3 x 7 Speed Thumb Shifters Set w/ wires"

AU $23.30
Buy It Now
Free Shipping

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-SL-T ... xyLN9SjrCA

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 pm

bychosis wrote:

I gave up on the front derailleur and told them to stick with the middle ring. Its enough range for 90% of the riding they are doing.

True. Although when we do big downhill rides he does change over. He is still getting used to front shifting on his road bike, which shifts much better than his MTB.

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I would second what duck says Revoshift are far from the worst grip shifters, usually new inner and outer cables will do the trick.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Gday mububban, I try to replace any grip shifters on the Bitsa Bikes with friction shifters for reliability. I'm on hols next two weeks, heading out to b4hwa possibly tues, cld drop a spare grip shifter to your sis's place if you want to have one to compare to. (Photo of model wld be useful) For inner lube I spray Inox thru, avoid wd40/crc. Sunrace do new friction shifters if you go down that path - right hand/rear shifters only also, no need to get a surplus lh/front shifter, ebay.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm

headasunder wrote:I would second what duck says Revoshift are far from the worst grip shifters, usually new inner and outer cables will do the trick.

Oh, and also ensure the cable is routed into the derailleur correctly. On the rear it will just bugger up the indexing, but on the front incorrect routing will seriously affect the shift feel as the derailleur will actively work against itself as you're trying to pull it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Mububban wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:stripping both then cleaning & lubing is much more satisfying.

What do you use for lube? I've got INOX and WD40 in my toolbox. I'm planning on buying some PTFE dry lube soon.

Some PTFE grease in a grease gun.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 am

Mububban wrote:I've never messed with derailleur cables before.

Cables are super easy.
Just get some proper cable cutters (not necessarily expensive ones).

Read Sheldon and Park Tool and watch Youtube.

Failing that, a new shifter (7 speeds Shimanos are all interchangeable) will come with cables anyway.