Sram Apex question

rtnicho

Sram Apex question

Postby rtnicho » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:56 am

Hi All
I acquired some Sram Apex road parts (Shifters and derailleurs) in a box of parts I bought. I'm trying to work out how many speed they are. I can't see any serial numbers on them. They're clearly not a recent model though, so I guess not 11 speed. Did Apex ever come in 9 speed? Any other way of telling the number of speeds? Unlike Shimano you can't just measure the number of clicks.
Cheers

Duck!
Expert

Re: Sram Apex question

Postby Duck! » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 am

Apex is 10-sp. SRAM never made 9-sp. road gear. Anything 11-sp. will have a "22" suffix.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:02 pm

rtnicho wrote: Unlike Shimano you can't just measure the number of clicks.
curious, why is that?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 pm

eeksll wrote:
rtnicho wrote: Unlike Shimano you can't just measure the number of clicks.
curious, why is that?
SRAM has Overshift protection, so when you get to the end of the cassette, you can still keep clicking away, but it is actually the ratchet just doing a half shift and dropping back. Kind of nifty. SRAM’s solution to the fork disk.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm

It's related to the way the Double Tap leapfrogging ratchets work; I don't know if it's a specifically intended trailt, but when you hit the first gear position & try to shift to another lower gear that isn't there, the first-stage ratchet will initially release, then the second ratchet will pick up the slack & push back to the low gear position. Of course at the other end the first-stage release won't engage because the shifter is already fully released. The two-stage ratcheting makes click counting a little trickier, but there is a distinct change in shifter feel at both ends of the range, so you can still work out the number of gears.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.