Rear derailer cassette (11-25) noises - DA 9000 groupset

captain peacock

Rear derailer cassette (11-25) noises - DA 9000 groupset

Postby captain peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi all,
At the moment I can’t seem to properly index the rear mech. The chain does not want to drop from 25 to 23, and from 23 to 21. If I release some cable tension so that it will, then I get ALOT of clicking/ticking noises around the middle of the cassette. Problem seems more prevalent when in the big ring.
The problem seemed to arise when I replaced the DA (9000) cassette and KMC chain with an Ultegra cassette and another KMC chain. Also when replacing them I also removed/cleaned/re-installed the jockey wheels.
I’ve taken it to the shop twice and both times they said they’ve fixed it ‘with some fine-tuning’ but they haven’t at all, no improvement whatsoever – not even close!! They did say that KMC chains are junk, so I replaced it with a Shimano but no improvement.
I have a couple of questions:
1) The guide pulley – is it directional, I don’t see any arrows on it and the tech docs don’t really say anything? Looking at the pulley, one side just says ‘Dura Ace’ and the other side says ‘Pulley >Boc<’. I believe the guide pulley should have some side-to-side movement, but mine doesn’t seem to have any – maybe a hair.
2) The cassette -could it be defective? I’ve removed it and reinstalled it using various torques but to no avail. Unfortunately, I binned the original cassette so I can’t reinstall.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Oh btw, the shop said the rear derailer is aligned, I asked them to check this specifically.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Rear derailer cassette (11-25) noises - DA 9000 groupset

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Probably a fraying cable.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

captain peacock

Re: Rear derailer cassette (11-25) noises - DA 9000 groupset

Postby captain peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Duck, i'm due to change bar tape in the next week or so, so i'll have a look see.

However don't think so, they are pretty new, but then again DA9000 chews thru RD cables for sure.