Alternatives to (or sources for) 26 x 1 3/8 inch wheels

rtnicho

Alternatives to (or sources for) 26 x 1 3/8 inch wheels

Postby rtnicho » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi all
I'm looking to get an old postie bike back on the road (authentic restoration is not a major priority). It's got 26 x 1 3/8 inch wheels (single speed, coaster brake) which are repairable, but look pretty rough and need a fair bit of work anyway. I'm wondering if there are options to either replace the wheelset with the same size in single speed or an alternative size with or without coaster brake (e.g., a 26 inch single speed wheel set). I'm also happy to consider an internal hub gear option in something that will fit the frame.
Cheers

10speedsemiracer

Re: Alternatives to (or sources for) 26 x 1 3/8 inch wheels

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 pm

maybe these :

[url]https://www.bicyclestore.com.au/parts/w ... wheel.html[/url

cheap but may do the job///
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Welcome to the absurd world of bike wheel sizing. especially when it comes to "26-inch"....

There are no less than five different rim sizes that have been used to wear tyres described as "26-inch"! ;shock: What you most likely have is a 590mm rim diameter, but could possibly be 571mm, 584mm, or 597mm. "Standard" (ha!) MTB-type 26" rims (including the wheel in the above link) are 559mm diameter.

If you're planning on converting to rim brakes, you'll need something similar in size to the current wheels, so 584mm rims, commonly marketed as 650B or 27.5", will be your best shot, as the rim diameter difference is within the adjustment capability of most rim brakes. However given it's currently set up for a coaster brake, if conferting to rim brake the frame may limit you to long-arm side-pull calipers, which frankly are pretty ordinary for braking power.

If you're sticking with a hub brake (coaster or roller; the frame won't take disc), rim diameter is not critical, and a "standard" MTB-type 559mm rim will offer the best range of tyres. The tyre manufacturers are introducing more road/commute-oriented 584mm/650B/27.5" tyres, but as that rim size's recent resurgence is MTB-oriented, most tyres are going to be that way inclined.

Your other bit of fun will be the frame's dropout spacing, which could be anything from 110mm to 135mm! But given the type of drivetrain it's built around, it's most likely going to be around 120mm. Therefore you'll also need to pick a hub that will fit the frame width, which will most probably be a single-speed or internal gear hub (the latter will also offer coaster, roller, disc or no [for rim ] brake options).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Duck! wrote:Your other bit of fun will be the frame's dropout spacing, which could be anything from 110mm to 135mm! But given the type of drivetrain it's built around, it's most likely going to be around 120mm.
You may be able to stretch the frame spacing if it is a steel frame ... think I went from 126 to 135 .. used a hydraulic jack between the drop outs.

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Hmmm, thanks all.
Having read your replies I thought I would try and see if 700c single speed wheels + 28mm tyres fitted, and they did. I then did a trial fit of some Shimano R650 long reach brakes and they made contact with the braking track. I've sent the frame off for painting so can't do a final fit at the moment but this could be a path through. Not sure how I'll work out chain line though. I'll repost when I have a crack at putting it all together. I'm not too fussed about crappy braking performance (coaster brakes aren't that great) and being a postie bike it's not going to be going that fast anyway.
Thanks again

LG

Postby LG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:02 pm

I managed to fit a 700C wheelset in a 26 x 1 3/8 frameset a few years ago. The brake reach was a bit shorter than original and these frames normally have a fair bit of clearance so tyres so worked fine. As mentioned above, spacing of the dropouts is the biggest issue but normally not insurmountable and wheels can often be squeezed in.

Oops, looks like you beat me to it.
LG = Low Gear