Fly12 Dissasembly

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm

The micro USB port is busted on my fly12. The pin has broken inside the port, so now I can't charge the unit. Otherwise it's working fine. No idea how it's happened but it's my problem now.

I've talked to CYCLIQ and they say it's out of warranty so the repair charge is $150 plus postage. They have offered a small discount off a new one but it's still a lot of cash. I'm not sure how long these things are going to last.. it's a known unknown.

Has anyone pulled one apart? Would it be possible to fix it myself, or even bodgy some wires with a plug on the end? I don't really need the USB port - I just need to be able to charge the unit.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13211
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Cycliq of course don't like people doing this... but it is yours now and if you are fairly confident and take precautions (avoid damaging the battery or shorting) then nothing will stop you.

I havn't seen it disassembled and am not prepared to take apart mine to test. Before starting however, I would look into first getting the part you need - the usb port before taking it apart. Should be fairly easy to locate and may require cutting and trimming before desoldering the old one off and putting the new one in.

A consideration I have is the waterproofing and how easy/difficult it is to remove the existing port and keeping it sealed.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 pm

So last night I managed to lever the pin up.. and it's sort of in place.

If you plug it into the charger... and wiggle the plug it will charge. If you use a rubber band to hold it in that place I actually managed to get a full charge into it. I'll have a bit more of fiddle with it tonight and see if I can do better. Unless it works better than this I'm really not sure whether this is a reasonable option going forward.

The more I think about it I gather the Cycliq people intend to replace the whole board with the plug on it.

For people reading this - let my failure be your lesson. Be bloody careful plugging it in.

User avatar
jillybean
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby jillybean » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am

I had a similar problem with my fly6. Ended up with the usb port entirely off the board and rattling around inside the case. Seriously annoyed given the cost.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am

jillybean wrote:I had a similar problem with my fly6. Ended up with the usb port entirely off the board and rattling around inside the case. Seriously annoyed given the cost.

That's no good... that's the takeaway from this. Be gentle plugging these things in for charging.

Today I see pushy's has them for $249 to clear out the old ones before the new ones come!

eeksll
Posts: 2473
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby eeksll » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

Comedian wrote:
jillybean wrote:I had a similar problem with my fly6. Ended up with the usb port entirely off the board and rattling around inside the case. Seriously annoyed given the cost.

That's no good... that's the takeaway from this. Be gentle plugging these things in for charging.

Today I see pushy's has them for $249 to clear out the old ones before the new ones come!


How do you plug it in roughly ? :shock:

I can see how one could break it off the board, but the bent pin ...

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

eeksll wrote:
Comedian wrote:
jillybean wrote:I had a similar problem with my fly6. Ended up with the usb port entirely off the board and rattling around inside the case. Seriously annoyed given the cost.

That's no good... that's the takeaway from this. Be gentle plugging these things in for charging.

Today I see pushy's has them for $249 to clear out the old ones before the new ones come!


How do you plug it in roughly ? :shock:

I can see how one could break it off the board, but the bent pin ...


I just don't know. :cry:

The learning for me.. is I tended to charge it every day - and I'd try and leave it on the bike.. which is kept in a dark area so it's hard to see. Going forward i'll try and only charge it every couple of days, and remove and charge it in a lite area where I can see what I'm doing.

li2099
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 am

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby li2099 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Comedian wrote:
jillybean wrote:
Today I see pushy's has them for $249 to clear out the old ones before the new ones come!

There's a new one coming?

Arbuckle23
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm

li2099 wrote:
Comedian wrote:
jillybean wrote:
Today I see pushy's has them for $249 to clear out the old ones before the new ones come!

There's a new one coming?



viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96477

notnairito
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 am

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby notnairito » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:15 am

I had a look at the insides of one that was faulty and basically yes, you have to replace the whole board to replace the usb port. Most of the space inside is taken up by the battery (about 2/3 of it). The usb port is on a small board and the camera/light are on another board on the opposite end.

From my experience repairing computers for a few years, you can buy replacement usb ports but soldering them is a PITA as they can melt really easily, You need a very steady hand and an iron that can regulate temperatures properly. For us it was usually easier to replace the board. It was also cheaper for the client as soldering was charged on an hourly basis, after 1 hour it better be a fancy pants board of it wasn't worth it.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fly12 Dissasembly

Postby Comedian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 pm

notnairito wrote:I had a look at the insides of one that was faulty and basically yes, you have to replace the whole board to replace the usb port. Most of the space inside is taken up by the battery (about 2/3 of it). The usb port is on a small board and the camera/light are on another board on the opposite end.

From my experience repairing computers for a few years, you can buy replacement usb ports but soldering them is a PITA as they can melt really easily, You need a very steady hand and an iron that can regulate temperatures properly. For us it was usually easier to replace the board. It was also cheaper for the client as soldering was charged on an hourly basis, after 1 hour it better be a fancy pants board of it wasn't worth it.

Thank you mate. I thought as much. I just don't have the ability to replace the port. Fortunately it seems to be working at the moment. Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users