Repairing (welding) DA C24 wheel

Ross

Repairing (welding) DA C24 wheel

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 pm

I ran over a screw today and it went straight through the tyre and tube and also the wheel rim, punching a hole about half the diameter of a valve stem through the rim. :o I thought I was going to be in for a long walk (I was about 60km from home!) but managed to McGyver a self-adhesive patch on the rim and another on the inside of the tyre and it got me home. So I was wondering if anyone would know if the rim could be repaired (welded) to fix this hole (no pics because Photobucket). Rim is conventional clincher but being a C24 it has a carbon laminate coating so I suspect the answer is no.

Looking around the internet (won't bother wasting my time asking at LBS, all I will get is blank looks) I am having trouble sourcing a replacement rim only, can buy a RS81 C24 rim for ~$204 but then it would be mismatching to my front DA C24 or I can buy a complete DA 9100 C24 rear wheel for $614 - maybe less if I can get a discount code I know of to work. Or I can buy a pair of new DA C24s for $975 or a pair of RS81 C24s for ~$624

Duck!
Expert

Re: Repairing (welding) DA C24 wheel

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Ross wrote:.... being a C24 it has a carbon laminate coating so I suspect the answer is no.
Correct.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Well in a purely theoretical sense it might be possible to repair it, but in the real world, nope. Shame as they are really nice wheels.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:01 am

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:59 am

Fill with epoxy? but has there been any other structural damage?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm

No structual damage apart from a hole going through the rim. I put a self-adhesive patch over it and rode the ~60km home. Showed it to my bike mechanic and he said rim was toast.

I did think about some sort of epoxy. The hole is fairy close to the valve hole though. The rim would need some panelbeating to flatten it out where the screw pierced through.

Price of a new rim only was more than a complete new wheel, and that was before factoring in labour costs of R&R. I ended up buying a second hand set of C24s for a good price. Still got the old wheel, might look into some liquid metal type stuff to plug the hole.
Last edited by Ross on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I agree with epoxy. And it might even satisfy structural considerations as well. Keep an eye on the rim for a while to ensure that no tearing or cracking occurs.

Well worth trying.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle