You’re the “Bike person”... fix it

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

You’re the “Bike person”... fix it

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:04 pm

In my household, I am the bike person, the one who live bikes, knows a few things and by default am also responsible for anything that goes wrong.

On friday, the tyre dynamo on my wife’s bike fell apart and the request was to have it repaired immediately because a light was needed. No mention that a crucial spring was missing (connector) and a plastic part was dethreaded.

The weekend arrived and I have a box if upgrades for the bike ready to install. A crucial nut for the front drum brake, splash guards, new rubber grips for the lever (rod) pull brakes, a new runner for the dynamo.

I also had a new tail light for my commuter bike which has found its way onto my wifes bike and not my own.

It reminds me if a neighbour we used to have who knew technology inside out. When our washing machine died he took it apart right down to the circuitboard which was fried (and not possible to replace). But we had to promuse not to tell any of the other neighbours otherwise he would be the goto man for every whitegoods problem.

In any case, I have to order a new dynamo and there will be know thanks because I am the bike person which means it is my responsibility.

Blame autocorrect!
Cycling is in my BNA

eeksll

Re: Your the “Bike person”... fix it

Postby eeksll » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 pm

your also the IT guy as well :?:

handy guy to have around :twisted:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Nice work. I try to fix stuff around the house, mostly successful. My kids sometimes gets upset when I tell them it’s betond repair because in their eyes I can fix anything.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:59 pm

bychosis wrote:Nice work. I try to fix stuff around the house, mostly successful. My kids sometimes gets upset when I tell them it’s betond repair because in their eyes I can fix anything.
Same here, except in my case it's SWMBO who also thinks I can fix anything, therefore I have a never ending list of jobs, none of which include bikes, Kingswoods or Vintage Caravans :?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:36 am

He He, then come blocked sinks....
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:03 am

I do hope you have a truing stand and wheel building tools. Because if not you got heaps of reasons to get them now, but not let anyone know.

Shhhh I've got a park tool's truing stand not widely known
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am

...and when you are the 'bike person' you get handed all sorts of BSOs with a request to repair/adjust them... and it makes you feel a bit dirty.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 am

I've fixed our washing machine twice; once a new motor, the other a new pump.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am

eeksll wrote:your also the IT guy as well :?:
But neither of you are the apostrophe people apparently 8)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

bychosis wrote:...and when you are the 'bike person' you get handed all sorts of BSOs with a request to repair/adjust them... and it makes you feel a bit dirty.
Yes! This, exactly this. They see me ride nice bikes, most recently a rebuilt Shogun Samurai. What is there in that picture that makes someone think I want to work on their Reid POS ?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Electronics design engineer / software engineer here. Apparently that automatically makes me an "IT guy". According to not just my mother, but mates as well. :(

I use the PC as a tool to do my job. I have zero interest in the intricacies of operating system versions/drivers/slow-downs/crashes, viruses and anti-virus software, or Office/Outlook. I'm not even up on the latest hardware; my PC is about 10 years old and I'd have to look up what type of memory it has installed in it.

But try telling all that to people that just know "you work with computers". Some of them even think my job is "fixing computers". It's difficult to say 'no' when these mates have done favours for you in the past, like tile your shower and fix your/wife's car on several occasions.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 pm

hamishm wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 am

Truing stand.... check! A very nice one thanks to a member on the forum who got me a stellar deal on an old Park.

Side note, my smart phone doesn’t come with punctuation or grammer so I am kindly excused from scrutiny of the literacy Police.
Cycling is in my BNA

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
bychosis wrote:...and when you are the 'bike person' you get handed all sorts of BSOs with a request to repair/adjust them... and it makes you feel a bit dirty.
Yes! This, exactly this. They see me ride nice bikes, most recently a rebuilt Shogun Samurai. What is there in that picture that makes someone think I want to work on their Reid POS ?
I get paid to do it....... :oops:

Still, it pays for real bike parts.....

silentC

Re: You’re the “Bike person”... fix it

Postby silentC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 am

I 'work with computers'. Doesn't matter how many times I tell people I drive them, not fix them, they still always ask 'can you have a look at my computer'. But I fixed one neighbour. I broke her computer and she had to buy a new one. That'll learn her...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Side note, my smart phone doesn’t come with punctuation or grammer so I am kindly excused from scrutiny of the literacy Police.
Well that's not very smart!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm

trailgumby wrote:
hamishm wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Talk to sisters a fair bit on chat (interstate), they pick this up on me all the time :mrgreen:

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 am

Just say NO.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 am

AUbicycles wrote:Side note, my smart phone doesn’t come with punctuation or grammer so I am kindly excused from scrutiny of the literacy Police.
I thought the autocorrect would have fixed the spelling though (grammar, cough).

Apologies, carry on..

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am

silentC wrote:I But I fixed one neighbour. I broke her computer and she had to buy a new one. That'll learn her...
That's one way no one will ever ask you again to fix anything once the word gets around, lol.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:43 pm

I take a great deal of pleasure in setting up BSOs properly (ie stripping down EVERY bearing and correctly lubing and adjusting them). I got a 6 pack of beer just for doing that on a 20" Big W Diamondback kids bike for a workmate's nephew for chistmas.

I get called on for plenty of other stuff too, whether or not it falls under my areas of expertise. It might not be pretty, but it will usually work :-D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Tell them to use Google and work it out for themselves next time :lol: You're only risking them coming back with an even bigger screw up :twisted: