Tubular rolling

hillbrick-rider
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Tubular rolling

Postby hillbrick-rider » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi I just decided to go to a wider tire for comfort schwalbe 1 s-one in a 30mm tire on a Ambrosio nemese rim.
The tire keeps rolling on the rim. Thinking it is to wide to seat properly was looking at youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAJmHGKQUk tallkng about CX tires rolling and the need for a filler tape,
anyone using there tires on a narrow rim
any advice
Thanks
Chris

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby Thoglette » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 pm

hillbrick-rider wrote:any advice

Get a dictionary and re-post your request with correct spelling and grammar. 1/2 :-)

I think I understand what you think your problem is. To which I'd say that there is no excuse for tubular tyres to "roll off" if glued on properly and run with normal inflation pressures. I am assuming you have only recently glued them and glued them yourself. Is that the case?

What tyre pressures are you using? Are the tyres hitting the frame when under load?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
Derny Driver
Posts: 2428
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Recommended tyre size is 23-28mm
30 may be a bridge too far

uart
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby uart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm

hillbrick-rider wrote:looking at youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAJmHGKQUk
Chris

Wow, 4 to 5 days to mount a tyre! That setup definitely wouldn't work for me. :)

hillbrick-rider
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby hillbrick-rider » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Thoglette wrote:
hillbrick-rider wrote:any advice


I think I understand what you think your problem is. To which I'd say that there is no excuse for tubular tyres to "roll off" if glued on properly and run with normal inflation pressures. I am assuming you have only recently glued them and glued them yourself. Is that the case?

What tyre pressures are you using? Are the tyres hitting the frame when under load?

Just under the max pressure of the tyre
No the tyre is not hitting the frame anytime
had a closer look at the tyre and it is running true, no wobbles. just the under section ( gluing strip )is now sitting right at the top of the rim one side and plenty on the other side on maybe half the rim

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby Thoglette » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:02 pm

hillbrick-rider wrote:had a closer look at the tyre and it is running true, no wobbles. just the under section ( gluing strip )is now sitting right at the top of the rim one side and plenty on the other side on maybe half the rim


Tubulars do turn themselves inside-out if inflated hard when off the rim. That suggests your glue job didn't work at all : something that I've never seen. (Old glue failing, yes). I'm without my notes but most glues get to 90% strength in a few hours.

I'm presuming your youtube video has the usual at-least two coats (for fresh tyres/rims)? The standard method is outlined by Dave Moulton's blog article and nothing's changed in half a century.

If you deflate the tyre, is it still tightly glued to the rim?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

hillbrick-rider
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby hillbrick-rider » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

"If you deflate the tyre, is it still tightly glued to the rim?
Tight enough that I had to really put some muscle into moving it

eeksll
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby eeksll » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Thoglette wrote:I'm presuming your youtube video has the usual at-least two coats (for fresh tyres/rims)?


hmmm you would be presuming short :shock:

User avatar
MelodyWheels
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 pm
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Tubular rolling

Postby MelodyWheels » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 am

The edge of the tyre should not lift up when you force it firmly with your thumbs (inflated fully or at low working pressure say 40psi). If it lifts up there is a "starved joint" and an adhesion failure. i do think a doublesided tape such as Velox or CX tape (the Belgium method) would be worth a try for the shape of the tyre and rim that you have. I've used it on CX tubulars (33mm wide) on similar width rims with great success. I don't know anything about Butter's tape but its a cool video.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: am50em, JPB