Video on chain lubricants, DIY lube & a chain under a microscope

Nate

Video on chain lubricants, DIY lube & a chain under a microscope

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Easier than a write-up & hopefully more consumable for everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sehm4CS0mNQ&t=30s

Its me banging on for 16min about chain lubricants, some beginner 101 stuff, what i've used & how it works.
Then a quick bit on my DIY chain lube formula - about 13minutes in

At 16minutes in i put my worn chain under a microscope!
(ref this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=92862)

Nate

Re: Video on chain lubricants, DIY lube & a chain under a microscope

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:18 pm

I also just finished a video on cassettes - microscope work too, so we'll see some cool stuff when i put that up too.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Good vid. I'll have to give that lube recipe a try.

Want to know how to triple the life of your cassette and chainrings? 8)

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:Good vid. I'll have to give that lube recipe a try.
Want to know how to triple the life of your cassette and chainrings? 8)

1/8th single speed?
full chain guard?

I'll be fabricating up a chainguard for the commuter, have done the dodgy PVC guard hanging from the downtube & it collects HUGE amounts of stuff.
So will do that & just keep everything out of the chain to begin with.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 pm

My secret is to run 3 chains. Whenever one needs to be cleaned, it comes off and the next one goes on.

By sharing the wear across 3 chains (pretty much) simultaneously, the amount of time it takes to get to 0.5% wear is tripled.

Chains are cheap, chainrings and cassettes not so much. So instead of getting 2 chains per cassette/chainrings set I get 6 - normally well in excess of my ownership of the bike.

dunamis

Postby dunamis » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 pm

I think the mutiple chain idea is a great cost effective way to extend cassette and rings.

You mention not using wax. I'm currently testing straight paraffin and have been pretty impressed so far. Friction Facts founder released his Ultra Lube recipe which is Paraffin, PTFE and Moly so I wouldn't write off paraffin.
http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/a ... ula-36424/

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:53 pm

dunamis wrote:You mention not using wax. I'm currently testing straight paraffin and have been pretty impressed so far. Friction Facts founder released his Ultra Lube recipe which is Paraffin, PTFE and Moly so I wouldn't write off paraffin.

As i said in the video - depending on CONDITIONS.
it may be the best low friction coating - ref AvE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD7Lzv5fWhs
i'm after LONGEVITY.

I used white lightening once & after a 70km ride with a 4km 200-300m ascent the chain was noisy, thus no lube.
Never again.
The guys at rotoburn have a nice recipe up, but as Jobst says - once displaced doesnt replenish.

If someone wants to make up a lube & buy me a 105 groupset, i'll test & do a tear down.

dunamis

Postby dunamis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 am

I used the immersion method in liquid hot paraffin in October (no PTFE or Moly) and have done 400ks on it. It might do another 100 but probably starting to get to needing another dunk. This method suits the multiple chain system. Dunk three ride through them all and repeat. If I did it that way I'd get minimum 1200km. It's just an experiment for me but still better than lubing every second ride which is what I was doing and no more having black crap on my chain that wipes onto everything it touches is a bonus.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm

My secret is to make it easy. If clean and lube job takes too long, people don't have time or less motivated to do it. Even if it last 400km but the job takes 30 mins.

Home made lube, 5 disposable kitchen swipe paper, less than 5 mins job, last 50km dry riding.

60% methylated spirit, 30% your favourite wet lube, 10% bar chain oil, shake well before application. Around a drop each link. Swipe away the dirt, the spirit clean and evaporated away leaving just enough lube to last 50km. This method is clean often, clean fast and easy as it never gets too dirty.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:34 pm

dunamis wrote:You mention not using wax. I'm currently testing straight paraffin and have been pretty impressed so far. Friction Facts founder released his Ultra Lube recipe which is Paraffin, PTFE and Moly so I wouldn't write off paraffin.

Sorry - i'll reply a little more informatively on this one.
Not debating the results at all, but my issue is with the test.

If you cycle in a sterile, clean environment at an exact & constant 250w - then its useful.
But no one does that - so its of no use.

what if it all goes out the window at 350w? So i small peak load & its all over...
what happens if there's some dirt/dust - maybe it goes insanely high resistance?

The test wasnt a simulation of real life (except a 6hr race at a velodrome, which has been vacuumed & mopped?)
Which is the whole point of the vid - test & go by the conditions you ride in.