What is your favorite type of rim tape?

queequeg

Re: What is your favorite type of rim tape?

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Duck! wrote:
queequeg wrote:At the bike shop, they also suggested a common "hack" is to just go around the rim with Nitto electrical tape. Just go around twice, with an offset to cover wider rims. That apparently works pretty well. I'll be adding some Nitto tape to my saddle bag for emergencies, as it also good for holding busted spokes etc.
Common maybe, but not ideal, except for cheap basic single-wall rims where you're taping directly over the nipple heads. Nitto tape is better than most leckie tapes, but it's still too soft & stretchy to handle the presure over the holes of double-wall rims, even with multiple layers. I've used it before, with poor results. Save it for bar tape finishing, where it performs admirably.
Yes, I use the Nitto for my bar tape. I did say to the bike shop that I’d wait for the proper stuff, but in an emergency it would be better than nothing.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 pm

whats a good rim tape for high pressure tubeless in road?
ive been using stans but notice after a while the pressure seems to stretch it into the spoke holes and ill need to re-apply rim tape to get it to seat again.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Gorilla grip tape
for tubeless conversions
the rest have mavic/shimano solid rims for tubeless already
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike