Advice on servicing\upgrading old MTB

Goblins

Advice on servicing\upgrading old MTB

Postby Goblins » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi all,

I recently got a new MTB and decided to try fixing up my old Haro, figured I'd ask around the internet for advice before I go too far and break the poor thing.

It's an old 26" Haro Flightline Two, maybe from 2009. It was never serviced, never cleaned, never had chain lubed, and spent most of its life coated in dry mud... I don't know how they made it so strong but it's survived so much, still the same chain :O

Anyway here's a few pictures of the parts that I think I need to swap over: https://imageshack.com/a/0l4l/1

The gears stopped working properly a few years ago so I just kept it on the least noisy setting... I don't know if the cassette and cranks are worn, they look ok to me but I wouldn't really know :?

Ideally I'd like to switch to a 1x drivetrain, if not possible then a fixed gear, and also give it a solid fork. Any advice on what I should look for? I don't know how compatible old frames are with newer stuff. I'm not in a rush, just thought it would be a fun project, thanks for any advice.

eeksll

Re: Advice on servicing\upgrading old MTB

Postby eeksll » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:14 pm

2009 isnt that old.

It doesn't look crazy worn the derailleur pulleys don't look very worn so guessing the chainrings will be fine. 8 speed cassettes and chain are cheap.

with the shifters, if there is a screw somewhere to open the top, you could probably take the face plate off and flood the mechanism with WD40. And you'll need new cables. It won' take much to get everything working again.

Can't help with the fork, but I think you would need a new headset or some way to either get the fork crown race off and put on the new fork or find another one of same size.

Goblins

Postby Goblins » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 am

Thanks, so swapping forks over isn't a simple "find X part to fit Y" type situation?

I'd like to switch it to a rigid fork since it would be low maintenance, just want to keep this as a beater bike for around town. I guess I could always take the fork apart, clean it up and then just lock it out.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:06 pm

Considering it's all there and unbroken, this might be a fun exercise. Haro still make these, albeit as a 29er. Driveline spec is sort of still similar.
Wouldn't bother doing a fork swap, not sure it's viable anyway. Just get that one facing the right way and lock it out.

Will need some bike-specific tools though, do you have some?
Think you'll be surprised at how easily this bike comes back to life.
There are lots of videos around which show how to do things, or just refresh your memory.
Mmm, SunTour

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Looks like you’d need a new crankset to go 1x, unless your happy to use a grinder to remove 2 rings. There’s no reason you can’t just remove the shifter and fix the derailleur in place on the middle ring using the limit screws though. I did that with my sons bike initially. Since then it’s got some hand me down cranks and a single ring.

I’d leave the fork, even if it doesnt function well unless you are dead set on rigid forks.

Give the whole thing a live and clean and it should be fine to run. Otherwise, it should be compatible with most modern stuff including shimano 11spd except a tapered tube fork. I have a 2009 ish bike with modern 1x11 shimano gearing a new fork and late model disc brakes it all fitted fine.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm

bychosis wrote:Looks like you’d need a new crankset to go 1x, unless your happy to use a grinder to remove 2 rings. There’s no reason you can’t just remove the shifter and fix the derailleur in place on the middle ring using the limit screws though. I did that with my sons bike initially. Since then it’s got some hand me down cranks and a single ring.

I’d leave the fork, even if it doesnt function well unless you are dead set on rigid forks.

Give the whole thing a live and clean and it should be fine to run. Otherwise, it should be compatible with most modern stuff including shimano 11spd except a tapered tube fork. I have a 2009 ish bike with modern 1x11 shimano gearing a new fork and late model disc brakes it all fitted fine.

from my experience, you need something to keep the front chain on, whether it be derailleur, inside and outside chainkeepers or those narrow/wide chain rings.

i thought 11 speed would need new wheels.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:11 am

Having some sort of chain keeper is a good idea, but if it is not for too much off road wouldn’t be essential. Chain doesn’t drop too much. Using the front derailleur works just fine, limit screws to lock it in place.

Shimano 11spd works on existing 8-10spd hubs because the biggest cog is dished and sits back over the spokes a bit, SRAM 11spd would need a new hub because it runs a smaller 10tooth cog and doesn’t dish the biggest cog afaik.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Goblins

Postby Goblins » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm currently stuck at the crankset. I got a crank puller but I think it might be a little too wide, I pushed it like hell but the crank didn't even budge, I might need a smaller crank puller.

I'll take the advice on the forks, I can just lock them out and get the bike rolling sooner that way, thanks for the suggestions!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Goblins wrote:Thanks for the replies, I'm currently stuck at the crankset. I got a crank puller but I think it might be a little too wide, I pushed it like hell but the crank didn't even budge, I might need a smaller crank puller.

I'll take the advice on the forks, I can just lock them out and get the bike rolling sooner that way, thanks for the suggestions!

I'm puzzled by your description of wide and small crank pullers. But to ask the obvious question, you did remove the bolt (or nut) holding the cranks on before you tried to pull them off didn't you?

Cheers,

Cameron