SRAM GX rear derailleur problem

uad782

SRAM GX rear derailleur problem

Postby uad782 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Everyone,

I took my Salsa Fargo for a run and ended up hitting some severe mud. After walking for quite a few k's I started riding again only to notice the rear derailleur had gone all sloppy with the cage going nearly horizontal when cycling causing considerable slack in the chain. I ended up breaking the chain and going single speed as it was un-rideable.

Inspection has revealed the derailleur rotates freely around its mounting point, likewise a silver part (green arrow) which I think is a tensioning piece. The derailleur is attached firmly to the hanger. Photos below. It is SRAM 2x10 GX derailleur.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

RonK

Re: SRAM GX rear derailleur problem

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 am

uad782 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I took my Salsa Fargo for a run and ended up hitting some severe mud. After walking for quite a few k's I started riding again only to notice the rear derailleur had gone all sloppy with the cage going nearly horizontal when cycling causing considerable slack in the chain. I ended up breaking the chain and going single speed as it was un-rideable.

Inspection has revealed the derailleur rotates freely around its mounting point, likewise a silver part (green arrow) which I think is a tensioning piece. The derailleur is attached firmly to the hanger. Photos below. It is SRAM 2x10 GX derailleur.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

The pictures aren't working Scott, but it sounds like the cage lock is engaged.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm

The mountin, pointed by the green arrow, is entirely fine. The problem is the lower knuckle/cage pivot, which appears to have displaced its tensioning spring.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks Duck

Can you point me to where that is. SRAM don’t have the good ev diagrams Shimano have. Also is it a common problem?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:33 pm

The cage pivot is the joint between the cage and main body....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 am

i've had this problem, its the pin, that is normally present in the front plate of the derrailleur has snapped off, that stops the spring in the derailleur unwinding... nothing to do with clutch, salvaged pin , from another derrailleur, happy days
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme
Ribble Rd Bike