punctures on the trainer

hamishm

punctures on the trainer

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 am

Why do I keep getting punctures on the trainer?! I'm using a Tacx trainer tyre. Tube was new a couple of weeks back (after last time I got a puncture). Tyre is inflated to 100 psi. Trainer is adjusted to back wheel correctly according to Tacx calibration utility.

This must be the fifth time in two months. A couple of times have been due to bad patch jobs but the others are on new tubes.

Nate

Re: punctures on the trainer

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:36 pm

hamishm wrote:Why do I keep getting punctures on the trainer?! I'm using a Tacx trainer tyre. Tube was new a couple of weeks back (after last time I got a puncture). Tyre is inflated to 100 psi. Trainer is adjusted to back wheel correctly according to Tacx calibration utility.

This must be the fifth time in two months. A couple of times have been due to bad patch jobs but the others are on new tubes.
Where's the failure in the tube?
that'll give us the answer

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:18 pm

If you are using one of the "smart" type trainers with an app, then ride slowly over the course and make sure that there are no thorns or pieces of glass on the road in the video. :lol:

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Nate wrote:Where's the failure in the tube? that'll give us the answer
Good question. In the past they have been splits at the seams.

Today's one, though, is a mystery. Yesterday I pumped up the tyre and rode for about an hour no problem. Today I come back and the tyre is completely flat. I just took the tube out and cannot find anything wrong with it.

I will ride it again. Maybe there is a problem with the valve. I am using a presta to schader adaptor on the valve to suit the spare pump I keep next to the trainer. I leave it on and don't cap the schrader either. Has not been a problem in the past though.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Take the adaptor off and screw the nut down properly. Presta valves do not have a spring to close the valve like Schraeders do, so can leak if the nut isn't snugged down to close it off fully.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 am

If it's the type of trainer where the back tyre sits on a roller I've seen this happen when the tyre and therefore tube gets too hot and fails.
It will be worse if you have a higher performance tyre (thinner and with softer compound).

You can get tyres specifically for trainers that eliminate this, or, use a cheap crappy tyre (thicker with harder compound).
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

Duck! wrote:Take the adaptor off and screw the nut down properly. Presta valves do not have a spring to close the valve like Schraeders do, so can leak if the nut isn't snugged down to close it off fully.
I'll do that from now on. It stayed up last night after riding again so tube must be fine this time.
(I've definitely had actual punctures in the past.)

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am

alrsv1 wrote:You can get tyres specifically for trainers that eliminate this, or, use a cheap crappy tyre (thicker with harder compound).
Yep as per the original post I am using the Tacx trainer tyre.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 pm

hamishm wrote:
alrsv1 wrote:You can get tyres specifically for trainers that eliminate this, or, use a cheap crappy tyre (thicker with harder compound).
Yep as per the original post I am using the Tacx trainer tyre.
How is the width of that tyre compared to your regular tyres Hamish? Obviously my previous post was a joke, but seriously, many of the so called punctures that I've had in the past couple of years have really been tube failures rather than actual punctures (as in either a pinch or an external object penetrating the tyre and tube).

What I've found as the two major causes are :

1. Tyres slightly too big for the size of the tube.
2. Anything even slightly less than perfect as far as the rim tape is concerned.

Of course the underlying reason is cheaply made tubes and a rubber compound that isn't as pliable as it should be. I often get little splits develop in tubes (not due to anything penetrating it) if they are even slightly overstretched or if they have to curve even slightly into a minor divot in the rim tape (again, no sharp edges or anything to cut it, just a very slight deflection).

And even if you buy a good brand name it's no guaranty of quality with tubes, not these days. They're mostly made by whatever third world manufacture will offer the cheapest price. The last batch of Michelin "Race 28" tubes I bought (made in China) are actually the worst I have ever used! I've had one after another simply failing like that (with no actual penetration) after anywhere from 24 hours to a month or two of usage. By comparison the previous Vittoria (made in Thailand) tubes I used were a whole lot better.

In fact, every single one of my previous Vittoria tubes that punctured had an actual identifiable reason, a pinch after riding over unusually rough terrain, or a thorn or some glass etc. In every case I could identify a cause that was not the tube's "fault". By comparison with the last batch of 6 continentals (made in China), out of 6 failures only one had an identifiable cause, the rest just up and failed for no reason. :(

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 am

Tubeless
or Minoura Rim Drive Trainer
or just get outside and ride
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike