How do you true a Shimano rear wheel?

Aston

How do you true a Shimano rear wheel?

Postby Aston » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am

Hi all,

I've got a Shimano WH-550 rear wheel on my every-day bike, and a Shimano Ultegra WH-6600 rear wheel on my road racing bike, and I can't seem to figure out how to true them. The front wheels I can do no problems, but all the spokes on the rear wheels are in the way of each other, and I can't get sufficient access with my Icetools long-handle 4.3mm nipple wrench, or my Topeak short and flat one. There seem to be Philips-heads, on the other side of the spokes opposite the cassette, but there's a circle in the middle so you can't use a normal screwdriver on it.

Is there a particular tool you need, or is there a particular way of doing it? I can only get to some of the nipples from some angles with these tools, and I can't find a ParkTool style nipple wrench in 4.3mm.

Thanks in advance,
Aston
Last edited by Aston on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duck!
Expert

Re: How do you true a Shimano rear wheel?

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:46 am

You need the little Shimano spoke spanners to do it properly, and take the cassette off.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Aston

Postby Aston » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Duck! wrote:You need the little Shimano spoke spanners to do it properly, and take the cassette off.
Do you mean Shimano make a spoke wrench for it? Because I've got this http://www.icetoolz.com/ec99/rwd1111/pr ... &cty_id=73

and this http://www.icetoolz.com/ec99/rwd1111/pr ... &cty_id=73

The Icetoolz one I can only get a quarter turn, on some spokes, before hitting another spoke, and then I can only go backwards because I can't grab it from another spot (it won't fit). The Topeak one I couldn't even get on any of the nuts.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 pm

The Shimano spoke spanners have off-square slots, exactly like "grown-up" spanners, so you can get to the nipples from different angles, although you still don't get a huge range of rotation (that said, you shouldn't be adjusting nipples by more than 1/4 turn at a time anyway).

As I suggested originally, take the cassette off; it's easier to work the radially-laced drive side.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Aston

Postby Aston » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 am

Duck! wrote:The Shimano spoke spanners have off-square slots, exactly like "grown-up" spanners, so you can get to the nipples from different angles, although you still don't get a huge range of rotation (that said, you shouldn't be adjusting nipples by more than 1/4 turn at a time anyway).

As I suggested originally, take the cassette off; it's easier to work the radially-laced drive side.
Ah thanks. Have you seen anywhere that sells the spoke spanners that Shimano make?

MelodyWheels

Postby MelodyWheels » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 am

Shimano don't play by the rules when it comes to nipple sizes.

PRO make a series of spoke wrenches for Shimano wheels in 3.6mm, 3.75mm, 4.0mm and 4.4mm which seem to cover almost everything Shimano.... well the current generation.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 am

Pro = Shimano

Aston

Postby Aston » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Man that Pro nipple wrench looks so perfect, of course I can only find it in 4.4 and my wheel is 4.3, I bought it anyway, it should be enough to get out of any sticky spots.

The Shimano one is pretty much the same as the Icetoolz one I've got, and the Topeak one is hex rather than square, so God knows what that's supposed to fit. Thanks all!