Shogun Trail Breaker 2: Bottom Bracket, help!

Mad_start

Shogun Trail Breaker 2: Bottom Bracket, help!

Postby Mad_start » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi there,

New to the Bicycle Network, so apologies if I haven't got the right forum.

I picked up an early 90s Shogun Trail Breaker from hard rubbish a while back and thought it would be a fun build to experiment with, especially for my first mtb. However, I'm having trouble identifying a suitable bottom bracket, can anybody offer advice on this? The threads look good to me, there is no visible rust or debris blocking the area so I'm pretty sure I just have no idea what thread type and size it requires.

I can upload pictures later if needed.

Thanks! :)

bychosis

Re: Shogun Trail Breaker 2: Bottom Bracket, help!

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:21 pm

My guess (educated guess) is it will be a standard 'english' threaded bottom bracket. ie there is a left hand thread on one side, standard right on the other. This is the most common type of bottom bracket threading. Is it a square taper? The BB housing will be either 68 or 73mm wide (probably 68). Then check the spindle length and buy a cartridge unit to suit, they aren't expensive.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Is there not one there for you to measure ? The BB you use depends on the crankset and the chainline you're trying to get.
If it's the Shimano Altus triple back to the 7sp then you can look up what the original spec was, which I think was a 122.5mm axle. But if you're using a different crankset, then you'll need to mess around with BBs. 1990s Shoguns were standard threading, but I can't remember if the shell on the Trail Breakers was 68mm or 73mm. Not a big deal, it's just a question of spacers in any case. Almost all of the triple cranksets for 1993 were a 122.5mm square-taper spindle, but measure what's there and just buy the same spec if you're using the same crank.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Yeah - what bychosis said. I have an early 90s Trailbreaker and that's exactly what I did. I put in a Shimano BB-UN26, 68mm, English thread, because I wanted to fit a square taper crankset, but there are other options. It cost me around $20. There are better, dearer options available.

All of those cartridge BBs come in various lengths, in 5mm increments - so 113, 118, 123mm etc. Check the length of the one that you are replacing. If it is a cartridge style, it will be marked on there clearly. If it is an old style cup and cone, then you may have to measure it from end to end. Buy the one that is the same length.

Just remember that the drive side has a left hand thread so you need to loosen/tighten it the opposite way to normal.

Mad_start

Postby Mad_start » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks for all of your quick responses! This is great, exactly what I needed to find out. Will shop around and see what I can find.

I should have mentioned in the original post that it was a bare frame with forks that I picked up, no BB, no crankset, no nothing. So yeah, this is my first build from scratch. I haven't got a crankset yet because I figured finding a bottom bracket would be a good place to start.

Cheers!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:46 pm

OK, the crankset you choose and the group will determine your BB spindle. The shell should be 68mm and standard threading (every Shogun I've worked on has been).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:The shell should be 68mm and standard threading (every Shogun I've worked on has been).
Should be 68, but easy enough to check with a tape measure. No need for super accuracy as it will be 68 or 73mm there aren’t any other ‘standard’ widths.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm

It's definitely 68mm. I have one of that era and it is 68mm, English (standard) thread.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Mad_start wrote:I haven't got a crankset yet because I figured finding a bottom bracket would be a good place to start.

Cheers!
Pick your crank first, that will dictate exactly what bottom bracket you need.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mad_start

Postby Mad_start » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks, Duck! This has been very helpful, I'm learning a lot :)

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 am

Would love to see pictures of it.
I had a gunmetal grey one of these back in the day, my first MTB also. Great memorys on that thing!
Would love to find and restore the same thing one day.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Mad
whats your Location,
most people would help you with tools and knowledge
Done it a few times for Beer and Coffee
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike