Popping valve stems.

kenwstr

Popping valve stems.

Postby kenwstr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi,

So I have been repairing thorn punctures every week this season but have had 4 valves separate from the tube in as many months. The tubes are maybe 2 years old but thorn punctures have been exceptionally frequent this season. I run 100 psi in rear and 80 psi in front. The last one, I had just repaired the tube and inflated the tyre and was putting some things away so wheel was not on the bike yet and I hear it soft pop and whoosh goes the air. So off comes the tyre again and I check, it's popped the valve stem. Just a little hole right at the base of the valve stem which has clearly separated from the butyl. Now I swear, there are no sharp edges around the rim hole and the rim tape is correctly positioned, not blocking the hole. The butyl appears to be in good condition having always used talc. The pressure is checked regularly especially as they have had many pricks this season. Could it simply be age or is it more likely something I'm doing. They are all the same brand of light race tube but I don't want to identify the brand in case there are unfair assumptions made. However, is this a known issue with a particular brand.

Ken

foo on patrol

Re: Popping valve stems.

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 am

I've had the area at the base of the valve start leaking on a number of them over the past few years and it had nothing to do with the rims. Poor quality in the rubber sealing of the tube. :idea: :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 am

I had a run of tube failures a year or two back.
Mostly cheap tubes supplied "free" with tyre purchases but also Continentals. Similar problem to OP but also unable to properly adhere a patch.
Since been buying dearer Schwalbe tubes. No problems.
I thought I might have been a bit rough attaching and removing the pump head but the problem ceased with better tubes.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 am

I've had problems in the past with Conti lightweight tubes (butyl, not latex) just randomly exploding, the tube split along the seam not the valve coming away from the tube. Luckily not while I've been riding. I just use normal weight butyl tubes now, normally whatever is on special rather than any particular brand (currently using Lifeline from Wiggle with no issues).

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:36 pm

I had the same problem with presta tubes. Are you screwing down the nut on the outside of the valve body? I found after I threw the nut away instead the problem went away.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Be careful about riding too far after you get a puncture or even a slow leak. As the tyre deflates it can sometimes move around on the wheel, causing the valve stem to get bent over and stressed at the base.

Several times I've fixed punctures for people who have ridden like this, only to find that the base of the valve stem gives out when I go to reinstall the tube.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

My bet is that its a faulty batch of tubes.
Try a different brand.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Funny enough, I've had a similar experience, with two Conti Race tubes, not the Tour tubes. At the time I thought it was my own fault for over-tightening the valve stem retaining ring nut, however have since shifted to two other brands and haven't had a recurrence.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Ta for the replies. I generally don't use the valve stem nuts except occasionally as an easy and temporary way to prevent the valve being pushed into the tyre when attaching the pump head. Figure I'll just switch brands and see how that goes. In the meantime I have temporarily resorted to thornies out of frustration.

Ken

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Mountain Biker here
I went Tubeless on my Ultegra 6800 wheels
Running Hutchision Fusion3, Schwable Pro one rear,
on the only road bike i own.
Tubeless to me is a known Quantity, and how it works and behaves..
I run it because with tubes, i kept getting fitment punctures, dues to having cerebral palsy
i could not fit the tyre well, with little muscle strength in one of my hands
i would suggest a tubeless conversion, if your wheels are not already tubeless compatable,
work very well around perth and the thorns here, see no reason, woud not work for you
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 pm

What do you when a tubeless gets a flat 50 km from town and no mobile reception?
Ken

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 am

Throw a tube in it.

Or plug it.

Or as a get home, then chuck the tyre if it's a bad hole solution, externally patch the tyre.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 pm

kenwstr wrote:What do you when a tubeless gets a flat 50 km from town and no mobile reception?
Ken
Carry a Tube
or Tubeless tyre repair kit ..
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike