Hollowech 24mm crankset - chainline for Rohloff (54mm)

VeloGiro

Hollowech 24mm crankset - chainline for Rohloff (54mm)

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi folks - I have had to change over my old Shimano Sora Triple crank-set, which i was using as a single speed on outside ring to achieve the 54mm chain line for a Rohloff speedhub - Its worn out on the spindle and even with new bearings theres a fair amount to play and it's quite wobbly.

So on a whim I bought a second hand double crankset thinking i'd have some play with spacers etc to achieve an acceptable chain-line...that didn't work - the spindle is too short..even without spacers the LHS crank only just had enough 'bite'. Any advice on what crankset might be suited? I've not been able to source the older Sora (or other) triple crankset with 110 or 130 BCD ring spacings (I have a lot of suitable rings ready to go)

Anyone got thoughts as to what to i should chase - not wed to shimano...Cheers

headasunder

Re: Hollowech 24mm crankset - chainline for Rohloff (54mm)

Postby headasunder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:11 am

have you considered just replacing the bb with a cartridge type of the correct width or are you wanting to try a new crankset?

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 pm

headasunder wrote:have you considered just replacing the bb with a cartridge type of the correct width or are you wanting to try a new crankset?
Thanks...I am running a 46mm eccentric Bottom Bracket http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php which is an external BB so no the cartridge is not an option. It requires a 24mm spindle setup.

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 pm

I measured my double v triple spindle/axle length (both hollowtech 2) the double was approx 110mm the triple was 117mm, the triple has a drive side 5mm spacer and nd 2mm. there are shimano road triples still in production tiagra are decent but I would head to a bike shop to see if there is a better option

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm

headasunder wrote:I measured my double v triple spindle/axle length (both hollowtech 2) the double was approx 110mm the triple was 117mm, the triple has a drive side 5mm spacer and nd 2mm. there are shimano road triples still in production tiagra are decent but I would head to a bike shop to see if there is a better option
Thanks for the info. It would seem that a triple is the go. - I'm looking at options including the Tiagra...Thanks again!

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Just fitted a second hand tigra triple crank-set with the chainring on the outer ring position - had to grind the granny gear ring bosses off to fit around the eccentric BB shell. Perfect chain-line for the Rohloff (54mm) straight up...Ripper! Thanks for the help with this one folks...