Front derailleur cable query

CreakyCrank

Front derailleur cable query

Postby CreakyCrank » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm

My Easter egg came in the form of a Pinarello ROKH this weekend.
What bothers me a bit is that the front derailleur cable (internal) exits the frame through a 'raw' hole. It is not enclosed at the exit port by any ferrule,sleeve or rubber boot. The LBS says this is normal - and it certainly is like that with all the Pinarellos on the shop floor.

It just doesn't seem right to me for this level of bike.

Jmuzz

Re: Front derailleur cable query

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:41 am

You pay more for less, weight reduction throws away anything which can be sacrificed even when that sacrifice leads to premature wear (planned obsolescence) and being more fragile.

Don't know if it's normal for the particular bike, but it is generally normal across all elite lightweight gear to sacrifice some durability and practically for features which benefit competition.

Always check for cable rub and add your own protection or tweak routing, especially when subjected to car transport winds and vibrations. They don't really design for that, they don't care because it has no impact on race performance.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:55 pm

My Argon 18 comes out of a raw hole, as you say, hasn't been an issue over the 3 years I've had it. My Pinarello MTB has a tube sticking out which I don't use because I went 1x11.
No signature

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Query or comment? They're not the same (and the first post reads more like a comment than a query).....

Unlined holes aren't that uncommon, nor are they of great concern on, the proviso that the cable is properly guided around the bottom bracket shell to eliminate any cable rub against the frame, which will cut into it. If there is any cable rub, run some plastic tube over the cable to protect the frame.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Whats a Front Derailleur????
i have a Santa Cruz hightowerLT, with beautiful rubbet grommets
Full Carbon Fibre Internal tubing for Seatpost and Rear Derailleur
with External mounts for the Disc brake hosing, very sensible for Hydraulic Fluids.
Luckily no choice of front Der at all...

Good Luck sorting it
Personally i think, the fact you have an issue with a high end bike,
without the complications of bearings,linkages,axles and suspension is ridiculous
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 pm

CreakyCrank wrote:My Easter egg came in the form of a Pinarello ROKH this weekend.
What bothers me a bit is that the front derailleur cable (internal) exits the frame through a 'raw' hole. It is not enclosed at the exit port by any ferrule,sleeve or rubber boot. The LBS says this is normal - and it certainly is like that with all the Pinarellos on the shop floor.

I think this is fairly standard on carbon bikes. My Defy routes the front cable under the bottom bracket and then straight up through the hole to the derailleur with nothing covering the hole. I was concerned about water and gunk getting in but I reckon any liquid would run straight down the cable and out the bottom anyway. Not had any issues with it.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 pm

djw47 wrote:
CreakyCrank wrote:My Easter egg came in the form of a Pinarello ROKH this weekend.

I think this is fairly standard on carbon bikes. My Defy routes the front cable under the bottom bracket and then straight up through the hole to the derailleur with nothing covering the hole. I was concerned about water and gunk getting in but I reckon any liquid would run straight down the cable and out the bottom anyway. Not had any issues with it.
OP wasnt very clear, so I wasn't sure what it was about.

My inner gear cable does the same thing on my carbon bike, runs down the outside of the downtube, around the bottom bracket then up through a hole in the carbon frame, then exits another hole from the frame, without any rubber boot.

from memory the hole is too small to be able to put a inner liner through.