Drop bars with internal or recessed cable routing

WhingingPom

Drop bars with internal or recessed cable routing

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm after a set of alloy drop bars with either internal or recessed cable routing for both gear (mechanical) and brake (hydro disc) cable/hose routing.

Main reason being I need to add a set of clip-on aero bars to them at a wider than normal position and don't want to have a mess of cables/hoses as I'll be taking the clip-ons on and off regularly.

Brands that I'd be interested in are 3T, Zipp, PRO or BBB.

Interested in any thoughts (other than a new bike as that's already been ruled out).

Cheers

WP

mikgit

Re: Drop bars with internal or recessed cable routing

Postby mikgit » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

3T superergo, superleggera, aeronova in Pro (alluminium) version all have external channels. Need carbon for internal.
Easton EA70's also alu plus external grooves...
Zipp's dunno.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Internal routing can make things even more difficult when you have aero bar mountings to factor in, because they will spit the cables out at a set point, which will often interfere with the clamps.

The other, considerably more important thing to look for is a wide enough clamp area to fit the aero bars onto at your desired width. It is critical for safe fitting that the aerobars are fitted to a straight, not tapered section of the bar. If they're on a taper, the clamps will only have a narrow contact area , plus as they try to conform to the taper as the bolts are tightened the bolts will bend and become a lot more prone to breaking.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Duck! wrote:The other, considerably more important thing to look for is a wide enough clamp area to fit the aero bars onto at your desired width.
This was my first thought.

Curious why you want/need to mount the bars wider.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:11 pm

WhingingPom wrote:I'm after a set of alloy drop bars with either internal or recessed cable routing for both gear (mechanical) and brake (hydro disc) cable/hose routing.

Main reason being I need to add a set of clip-on aero bars to them at a wider than normal position and don't want to have a mess of cables/hoses as I'll be taking the clip-ons on and off regularly.

Brands that I'd be interested in are 3T, Zipp, PRO or BBB.

Interested in any thoughts (other than a new bike as that's already been ruled out).

Cheers

WP
Bontrager does alloy drop bars with the internal cable routing that you are after. But, the cables will exit right where you'd want to clip on the aero bars I think. I have a set of those bars retro-fitted to my old Trek Madone 4.5, they are pretty nice.

Be aware, the bontrager ones are fairly flat bars, so might make it tricky to fit clip-on aero bars.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Alternative approach; would you be better investing in something like this:
https://redshiftsports.com/quick-release-aerobars

They appear to mount up pretty wide

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:28 am

MattyK wrote:
Duck! wrote:The other, considerably more important thing to look for is a wide enough clamp area to fit the aero bars onto at your desired width.
This was my first thought.

Curious why you want/need to mount the bars wider.
Poor flexibility/core strength (working on both) - anything more than an hour on the bars and I'm getting an annoying amount of numbness followed by pain in my upper back. Looking to use the aero bars for an alternate position during endurance rides rather than getting my aero on.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

WP