Cables, who uses what ? (Shimano based systems)

Select the brand of cable/cable housing that you use (brakes and/or gear). One selection per user.

Poll ended at Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Ashima
No votes
Clarks
No votes
DiaCompe
No votes
Jagwire
45%
Lifeline
No votes
Shimano
45%
Other (advise in thread)
9%

Total votes: 11
10speedsemiracer

Cables, who uses what ? (Shimano based systems)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 pm

Am at the point where I need to start stocking up on cables/housing etc, again.
Thought I'd ask for some feedback as to what everyone is using, as I can't pick an enormous difference between Shimano-branded cables and non-Shimano, aside from price. Obviously I'm not talking about the no-name generic garbage but it got me wondering, do others use non-Shimano stuff, and does it happen in large numbers.
The other reason I'm asking is that my stash has dried up and supplier no longer carries what I've been using.
I need to order in the next few days and thought I'd get a feel for what everyone else is using...

Thanks in advance, poll is only open for 2 days, otherwise it will just stretch out (sorry)...
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Thoglette

Re: Cables, who uses what ?

Postby Thoglette » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:12 pm

Campagnolo, of course
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Re: Cables, who uses what ?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Thoglette wrote:Campagnolo, of course
Yeah, probably should have mentioned this is for Shimano-based systems. Thanks for helping me realize my error.

JohnAng

Re: Cables, who uses what ? (Shimano based systems)

Postby JohnAng » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 am

i just did my older road bike and used jagwire. bought a complete kit with inners and outers.
works well

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 am

Shimano SP41 outer in a 5 metre roll from ChainReaction/Wiggle.
SRAM 1.1mm from the LBS. Bought a half a dozen for about $4.00ea. They seem to work and last just about as well (not very) as the Shimano PTFE ones on 9, 10 and 11 speed Shimano rear derailleurs, roughly 5000 km's. Cheaper alternative.
The kits are too expensive for regular replacements IMO.

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 am

The Gore fully sealed cable systems were gold, real shame they're not available any more.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm

It's worth pointing out that Shimano have four levels of inner gear cables. The cheapest are bog-standard non-stainless cables, which have the advantage of being more resilient and less prone to fatigue-induced breaking in the shifter mechanism, but have the highest surface friction, which performs particularly badly in hidden cable systems. A step up are uncoated stainless steel, which has better shift response due to lower friction, but is more prone to breaking through fatigue. Although lower in friction than non-stainless, they are still pretty heavy going in hidden cable systems, so best used with older external cabled shifters. Next is the PTFE-coated "Optislick" cables, which despite being Shimano's second-tier cables are actually the pick of the bunch. The slick coating further reduces friction, essential for use in hidden cable shifters, and a nice touch with side-entry shifters. The key to this cable grade is that the coating is applied to each wire strand before being laid into the cable, so it doesn't peel off and clog the outers. The final level is the polymer-coated (sometimes Dura-Ace labelled) cable. It's great when it's new offering even less friction than PTFE, but the downside is that the coating is applied after the cable is wound, so it peels off and clogs the housing. Both coated cables are the same stainless steel base as the uncoated cables, so similarly prone to fatigue breakage.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Duck! wrote:It's worth pointing out that Shimano have four levels of inner gear cables. The cheapest are bog-standard non-stainless cables, which have the advantage of being more resilient and less prone to fatigue-induced breaking in the shifter mechanism, but have the highest surface friction, which performs particularly badly in hidden cable systems. A step up are uncoated stainless steel, which has better shift response due to lower friction, but is more prone to breaking through fatigue. Although lower in friction than non-stainless, they are still pretty heavy going in hidden cable systems, so best used with older external cabled shifters. Next is the PTFE-coated "Optislick" cables, which despite being Shimano's second-tier cables are actually the pick of the bunch. The slick coating further reduces friction, essential for use in hidden cable shifters, and a nice touch with side-entry shifters. The key to this cable grade is that the coating is applied to each wire strand before being laid into the cable, so it doesn't peel off and clog the outers. The final level is the polymer-coated (sometimes Dura-Ace labelled) cable. It's great when it's new offering even less friction than PTFE, but the downside is that the coating is applied after the cable is wound, so it peels off and clogs the housing. Both coated cables are the same stainless steel base as the uncoated cables, so similarly prone to fatigue breakage.
Thanks Duck. When I have used Shimano it's usually been the uncoated stainless, although have used the Optislick on occasion. Have had good experience previously with the better third party stuff, not experiencing much difference, especially in terms of brakes. I tend to avoid the concealed shift-cable format, although have found that internally-routed cables also suffer a degradation in feel and responsiveness unless a better cable is used, so these usually get Shimano Optislick (as much as I hate paying those $s).