New drivetrain for no-name cargo bike

2sharp

New drivetrain for no-name cargo bike

Postby 2sharp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi,
I have a no name cargo bike (suspect it wasn't actually Dutch built and isn't that rare);
It has a Sturmey Archer 8 speed that has all-but-!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!-itself. I only have about 2 of the 8 gears useable.
I'm based in Newcastle and can't find anyone willing to service the hub. Everyone just wants to replace it. I have a friend who will help build the new hub into the exiting rim.
I don't really need 8 gears for the sort of riding I do with it (shopping runs and child transport - almost solely on flat ground) and I've not got huge amounts of cash to splash around. I hate not being able to ride this bike because it means more small trips in my car to the shops etc.
I was offered a NuVinci 360 stepless hub for a good price - which all sounded good until I realised it didn't have a brake.
So I've been looking at a Shimano Nexus 3 speed such as this;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMANO-Nex ... 1846333644
My main concern is knowing whether the roller brake will fit inside the frame. My OLD seems to be 125mm
The roller brakes come in different diameters from around 40mm to 80mm. I assume bigger is better but does anyone know what I should go for and whether it will work at all. Here's a general pic of the dropout area.

All help, advice appreciated.

Jon

MattyK

Re: New drivetrain for no-name cargo bike

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Cool beast. I'd be resetting the frame to 132mm and cramming a Shimano Nexus 8 speed coaster hub in there myself... More gears might not be necessary most of the time, but they'll be a blessing when you need them.

If you keep your ear to the ground, complete 8-speed wheels appear from time to time.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Is there a hole drilled suitable for a rim brake? I would possibly go that way with a derailleur gear.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:45 pm

I'd avoid derailleurs for the simple sake of not being able to shift when stopped.

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Update: the bike is in the shop currently with a Nexus 3 speed and roller brake to be installed into the existing rim. We'll see how it goes and might tweak the rear cog size to suit.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:34 pm

2sharp wrote:Update: the bike is in the shop currently with a Nexus 3 speed and roller brake to be installed into the existing rim. We'll see how it goes and might tweak the rear cog size to suit.
Let us know how you go - I have a bunch of new rear cogs just taking up space in my parts box
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:03 pm

find_bruce wrote:
2sharp wrote:Update: the bike is in the shop currently with a Nexus 3 speed and roller brake to be installed into the existing rim. We'll see how it goes and might tweak the rear cog size to suit.
Let us know how you go - I have a bunch of new rear cogs just taking up space in my parts box
Thanks, will do...