Your recommended chainbreaker

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your recommended chainbreaker

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:15 pm

I currently use a compact multi-tool from Lezyne - it works but is really mainly for repairs. Previously it was an awkward Topeak alien (multi) tool which was ok until it exploded.

Recently I topped-up the online shopping cart with a cheap X-Tool chainbreaker for the workshop - looked ok but when tools are made of lead rather than steel, this will never given them much of a lifespan after unpacking. Rubbish.

Would like to get your recommendations for a workshop chainbreaker - also when I reconnect smoothly without any unwanted friction. Preference is to remove and reuse the same pin but welcome recommendations if, for example, be going for breakable pins instead each time. Or should I be using a quickpin?
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Re: Your recommended chainbreaker

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 pm

I have the Park Tools baby chain breaker, and ALWAYS use the quick links. Tried using the Shimano pin and found it near impossible to use, so never went back.

I suggest using a good quality chain tool. They don't get used often, but they need to work when you need them !!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Shimano TL-CN28. Just used it today and still working perfectly after owning it for around a decade ( I have the 10-speed version but it's fine with 11-speed chains). I use the Shimano joining pin. Never had a problem.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm

I have a relatively cheap BBB tool, have used on everything up to 11sp, no issues.
I prefer the KMC missing link joiners, find the Shimano pins a bit fiddly and leaves you in the same position as you were in before i.e. need to break the chain, instead of undoing a missing link. Have also needed to use the SunRace links on occasion, no issues.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

AUbicycles wrote: Would like to get your recommendations for a workshop chainbreaker - also when I reconnect smoothly without any unwanted friction. Preference is to remove and reuse the same pin
I (
https://facebook.com/BitsaBikesWA/ ) usually break then rejoin using the same pin.
After you rejoin you need to grab the chain either side of the join and flex the chain back and forth but at right angles to the usual travel. This frees up the link/friction.

I use the Park Tool blue handle workshop breaker, previously used their smaller tool, Think I actually prefer the smaller one, but the larger one happens to hang on my tool board & as I paid for it feel I should use it.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Bought one a Giant branded one. Didn't buy from the link, bought from LBS.

https://giantperth.com.au/tool-shed-ct- ... giant.html

Works really well, solidly built.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Preference is to remove and reuse the same pin but welcome recommendations....
DO NOT under any circumstances reuse the pins in chains for any more than 7-sp (even some 7/8-sp. chains it's strongly advised against). Narrower chains have peened pins, with ridges around the ends to lock them in place. Reusing these pins damages the link plates, greatly increasing the risk of chain breakage. For 1-6-sp. chains where pins can be reused, the key is to not fully push the pin out, but to leave it fitted in one outer plate, which will guide it back in. For this purpose you need a chainbreaker with a spreader cradle - a second set of holding teeth toward the cenre of the tool, so that after you've fitted the pin, which will compress the link, move to the spreader cradle and gently push the pin a little further, which will also push the opposite side link plates away from the roller and alow the link to move freely. HG-type chains with peened pins don't need a spreader cradle, as the peens will properly space the link plates.

I use two tools, a Shimano TL-CN34 for 8+ multi-speed chains (although it's also compatible with up to 6-sp.), and a Park CT-3 for single & 5/6-sp. chains. The cradle on the Shimano tool is too narrow to fit single-sp. chain in, plus it lacks a spreader for those chains that do have reuseable pins, which is where the Park comes in. Only criticism with the Park is that the pins are relatively soft and wear down with use, so eventually you can't fully remove a link pin when you do need to.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks for the input and confirming that I need to get a bag of Shimano pins.

MichaelB, when you fit a new chain, do you install a quicklink. It is only recently that Shimano have a quicklinks for 11 speed - not sure if you are on 11 speed but interested in your workflow.
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 pm

The Shimano quick link is very tight to get locked in. Not much very quick about it.
I won't be using one again, I'll stick to KMC.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm

I always use a quick link. I use KMC links on all my bikes, even the 11 speed campag chains. I usually get KMC chain so they come with the quick link. I have had 2 incidents in the past where the plate was coming off at the joining pin (might have been the same chain twice) and one other time where I broke the chain. Plus allegedly needing a special campag chain tool pushed me to use the quick links exclusively.

One thing to note is on a chain checker tool, if the quicklink is in the middle of the measuring section, the chain almost always measure long/worn.

note: I fully suspect it is me that did not install the pin properly even after heavy youtube and googling. I clearly have a knack for not doing it properly even when taking care.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:The Shimano quick link is very tight to get locked in. Not much very quick about it.
I won't be using one again, I'll stick to KMC.
It's quite quick. Engage the notches, rotate the chain so the link is in the top span, grab a fistful of rear brake & jump on the forward-pointing crank. Locked. Easy. SRAM PowerLock links need the same treatment.

Personally I prefer properly pinned chains; I've seen too many quick links jettison themselves out in the wilds. If you don't let crap build up on your chain, you never need to take it of until it's being replaced.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:33 am

AUbicycles wrote:
MichaelB, when you fit a new chain, do you install a quicklink. It is only recently that Shimano have a quicklinks for 11 speed - not sure if you are on 11 speed but interested in your workflow.
On 11sp and use the KMC quick links.

Have actually been using some 10sp ones on the 11sp chain without issues too.

Note though that some of the quick links are single use only. Seems to be more common, as the latest KMC x93-11 chain has a single use quick link.

As to the force to sometimes click together/get apart, there are pliers that do the job or a variety of techniques.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 am

I don't like the pins I prefer the KMC quick links. Chain breakers, well the pin itself, is the weak link on the breakers but as far as a brand name goes, I have no answer. :wink: I have three old school breakers and two newer ones and all of the pins have bent or broken after time. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

I use the Park Tools CT-3, the same as Duck mentioned, but also have two older and smaller models. The Park tool is larger, has more twisting torque and is therefore easier to use than the smaller ones, although they work well too.
I only use the chain breakers for shortening new chains.
The KMC 9 and 10 speed Missing links are reusable and can be opened and closed by hand.
The KMC 11 speed Missing Links are Non-reusable and need a tool to open and I close them with pedal force. I do reuse them for chain removal and rotation with a second chain, but only use the one link on the one chain. Each chain has it's own link and is discarded when a worn out chain is discarded. Never had a problem with them though plenty of others have.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:54 am

foo on patrol wrote:I don't like the pins I prefer the KMC quick links. Chain breakers, well the pin itself, is the weak link on the breakers but as far as a brand name goes, I have no answer. :wink: I have three old school breakers and two newer ones and all of the pins have bent or broken after time.
The best chainbreakers come with one (or even two) spare pins. Often they are hidden in the handle which can be screwed off.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm

I have several including the Park Tool CT3. The nicest one is the Pedro's Tutto by a long shot.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 pm

ball bearing wrote:I have several including the Park Tool CT3. The nicest one is the Pedro's Tutto by a long shot.
Yep, I have the Pedro's Tutto and it's ergonomics are fantastic. Love it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Cycling is in my BNA

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 pm

$7 11sp chain breaker off eBay. At least it was advertised as 11sp but it works fine. Done a dozen chains including fixing the pins in place and will do many more. Don’t see the point in paying $10 for a joiner when a 5800 chain can be had for $21. Have reused a pin once when I moved the group set to a different bike. Oiled pin and pushed it out. When reinstalled it had a nice positive click and is still firmly in place. If it was half suspect I would have tossed the chain.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bike-Bicycl ... L1W7fbCkDA

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 pm

My LBS would ring & borrow my Campagnolo 11S breaker when 11S first came out. Now it is a piece of elegant machinery.

The ParkTool I have is 10S, but works fantastically.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

LG

Postby LG » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 pm

I've been using the same 'pro' chain breaker on averything from single speed to 10 speed chains for about 15 years now. Has been great, still got the spare pin in the handle in case the original ever breaks.
LG = Low Gear

li2099

Postby li2099 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Another Park Tool here:
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod109886

Excellent quality.

MelodyWheels

Postby MelodyWheels » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm

I like the Park and Shimano chainbreakers. Park CT3 was my favourite. Connex make some pretty great (durable) chains with reusable quicklinks. Worth a try.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 am

On a quick skim of this thread no-one has mentioned chainbreaker pliers like the Park CT2 or for 1-7 speeds the Gian Robert tool
Am I the only one still using this type of tool? :)

Richard

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 am

Needed to use mine twice today, and can confirm it does 7sp > 11sp. And then I found the original sale display card in the bottom of the toolbox, apparently is a BBB Nautilus II. Has a very substantial, weighty feel to it, can be disassembled for lubing/cleaning, has a spare tip. The price sticker on it says $29.99 but I don't recall paying that.

This is the updated version of mine :

Has a more substantial feel to it than an Ice Toolz unit I had, and an el cheapo before that.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go