Your recommended chainbreaker

10speedsemiracer

Re: Your recommended chainbreaker

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 02, 2018 12:39 am

WyvernRH wrote:......

Am I the only one still using this type of tool? :)

Richard
Yes (sorry)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 am

That tool would be OK for low-spec 1-7-sp chains, but I suspect would lack the necessary grunt for more securely pinned HG-type 7+ sp. chains.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed May 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Duck! wrote:That tool would be OK for low-spec 1-7-sp chains, but I suspect would lack the necessary grunt for more securely pinned HG-type 7+ sp. chains.
If you mean the pliers, the handles are 9" (230mm) long - LOTS of leverage across the offset pivots to push the pin forward. I have had no problems pushing out pins in 10/11 speed chains and high-end 6/7/8 spd stuff. You can put the replacement Shimano replacement pins back in 6/7/8 speed as well, no problem. The main advantage I find is you don't have to even think about not pushing the pin out of the other side if you are using a re-pinnable chain. The pliers action automatically pushes the pin out just far enough to leave it hanging in the other plate. Also it pushes the pin (replacement or otherwise) back in exactly the right amount when closing the chain.

Of course you don't have to worry about the extraction bit if you are replacing the pin or using a quick link, you just override the adjustment of the throw to push the pin right out.

I must admit I do tend to use Quick Links to rejoin all widths of chain except 1/8" these days. If the link is good quality and fitted carefully I just don't generate the sort of power that might cause them to fail :)

Richard

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 am

Lezyne chain breaker for the workshop, pro multi-tool for the saddlebag. The former is used regularly, the latter used once. No problems at all with either.

For installing a chain (11sp Shimano), I'll always use quicklinks (keep one and a pair of latex gloves in my on-road spares). My riding is a mixture of commuting, 100km+ weekend rides and longer "silly" (300km/6,000m vert) rides.

I've used a mixture of SRAM, KMC and AliExpress quicklinks without any problems.

Cheers

WP