Tyre blowing off rim

uad782

Tyre blowing off rim

Postby uad782 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am slowly building a new bike which came as parts. I received FSA NX(?) 29 rims and Kenda Flintridge Pro Tubeless ready 700 x 40C tyres. When setting them up tubeless I blew them off the rim when using an air compressor to seat the bead.

Later that evening the tyre was still leaking some sealant so I pumped it up (using a track pump) and misread the gauge. When it got to 60 psi, Boooom, the tyre blew off again. It was loud and sealant sprayed everywhere.

The rim/tyre were supplied as a set.

I am wondering about safety with this combination. The tyre is rated to 50 PSI but if it blows off at 60 PSI, is that an acceptable limit. There is minimal room for error.

Should I consider a new rim or tyre?

Any comments appreciated.

Jmuzz

Re: Tyre blowing off rim

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 pm

"Tubeless ready" wheels are a bit of a dangerous scam, the term is being used for any wheels which can be sealed up with rim tape, even if they don't have an appropriate rim lip and manufacturer cant list a single approved tyre which they have tested with them.

Don't know if yours are appropriate or not, but it does sound like a worry.

Mavic are doing their UST standard, but since it requires royalty payments it is never going to be a universal standard.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks Jmuzz,

by the way - EDIT: rims are 622 x22C.

I wonder the same as you Jmuzz hence the query. I wonder about the quality of FSA rims. The say TR but that is all they say. The website says very little else.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 pm

uad782 wrote:Any comments appreciated.
Why are you pumping 40mm tyres up to 60psi in the first place? Especially if you're going tubeless (the whole point of which is to allow lower pressures while riding through fields of doublegees)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 am

Hi Thoglette,

I misread the gauge. It was only after the tyre blew off I realised I had hit 60 PSI not 40!