Chain catches on 11 sp cog teeth

defy1

Chain catches on 11 sp cog teeth

Postby defy1 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 pm

I have a bit of an annoying issue.
I have SRAM 11 speed 11-28 cassette, kmc 11sp chain, sram red derailleur (10 speed but using a 11 sp right shifter which should work fine).
All the gears change fine, and I believe properly indexed and tuned. Its just when I am only on the 50x11 gear, every rotation on the 11sp cog, there is a tooth that doesn't catch properly on the chain, and thus makes a very audible clicking sound as the chain sits on top of the teeth temporarily and then catches and snaps in.
I have a video here to demonstrate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_ESNrtVdw

anyone know how to resolve this

Jmuzz

Re: Chain catches on 11 sp cog teeth

Postby Jmuzz » Mon May 07, 2018 2:22 pm

How close is the deraileur? Side view?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon May 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Maybe it's a tight link at fault rather than the 11 sprocket.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:04 pm

It kind of looks like the guide pulley isn't parallel to the spockets...or am I just seeing things?

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Jmuzz wrote:How close is the deraileur? Side view?
P!N20 wrote:It kind of looks like the guide pulley isn't parallel to the spockets...or am I just seeing things?
I'm thinking along similar lines.
It's looks as though the chain is catching on the jockey wheel.
You could try screwing-in the B screw a few turns. This will move the jockey wheel further away from the cassette/cogs.
Also, the centre of the pulley wheel is meant to align with the outer edge of the 11 tooth cog. Check it.
Last edited by Tim on Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Have you measured the chain for wear?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon May 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Check the cassette lockring. If you are using a cassette with smallest cog is 12 tooth then any Shimano, SRAM or Sunrace lockring dating back donkeys years will work but 11tooth cogs usually require a more recent type which is slightly smaller diameter. Otherwise the lockring edge prevents chain from sitting neatly in the valleys between teeth

neild

Postby neild » Mon May 07, 2018 8:02 pm

elantra wrote:Check the cassette lockring. If you are using a cassette with smallest cog is 12 tooth then any Shimano, SRAM or Sunrace lockring dating back donkeys years will work but 11tooth cogs usually require a more recent type which is slightly smaller diameter. Otherwise the lockring edge prevents chain from sitting neatly in the valleys between teeth
This happened to me recently. Spent 2 days trying to get the shifting on the 11 tooth ok and finally stumbled across a post saying check your lock ring. Bingo, it was for a 12 tooth. I’d just grabbed one from the parts box. Have never taken any notice before.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks all. Ended up being the the derailleur hanger needed adjusting and pulled outward slightly. Strange as the hanger has never being bent or had any impacts.

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm

How old is the deraileur?
How much use?

I was having all sorts of issues with mine recently, been using the deraileur for some time, all indexing was ok adjusted the B spring & that helped.

What it was - the grease in the rear deraileur!
the deraileur moves not only out/across, but DOWN/UP. There's a large pivot (when you unscrew the deraileur from the hanger) which has the large spring inside of it. It was caked with old dirty grease, once clean it was like new!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Nate wrote: There's a large pivot (when you unscrew the deraileur from the hanger) which has the large spring inside of it. It was caked with old dirty grease, once clean it was like new!
Just did this as part of an overhaul of derailleur on the daily driver. Unfortunately all the crud hiding there and elsewhere were all that was stopping the d'railer flopping about in the wind. So now I'm back to "friction shifting": it takes about 3 clicks to take the slack out of the d'railer and then you can start moving the chain :shock: :oops:

Ps: Be careful with the leeetle retaining clip for that big spring. I've now got one hiding somewhere in the back of the shelves :oops:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm

P!N20 wrote:It kind of looks like the guide pulley isn't parallel to the spockets...or am I just seeing things?
Not sure if it's by intentional design or bad design, but many SRAM derailleurs have a distinct twist as they move through their range. Additionally, and this is definitely in the bad design category, on some hub/frame alignments the low limit screw can contact the lower link of the derailleur body and prevent it from dropping out to the high limit stop.
Nate wrote: the deraileur moves not only out/across, but DOWN/UP. There's a large pivot (when you unscrew the deraileur from the hanger) which has the large spring inside of it.

Not the case with SRAM derailleurs, which the OP has. SRAM derailleurs have an unsprung upper pivot, with the B-screw engaging as a positive stop against forward movement of the derailleur.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Nate wrote:How old is the deraileur?
How much use?
I've done close to 29,000 kms on it, in about 4 years.