Nexus 3spd needs new shifter

bychosis

Nexus 3spd needs new shifter

Postby bychosis » Sun May 13, 2018 8:01 am

I have picked up a 20” bike with a Nexus 3 speed hub. It was cheap and came with a broken grip shifter. I’m not keen on the grip shifter and, in keeping with it being a very cheap bike was trying to repair with spares from the box.

Does anyone know what shifters would work with that style hub? Is the cable pull the same as a front or rear thumb shifter or am I going to have to find another grip shifter to replace it with.

Ultimately I’m probably going to lace it into a 26” cruiser wheel so it doesn’t need to be kid specific, but I’d like it to work for a while on the current bike, even if I need to help junior shift gears from now.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Nexus 3spd needs new shifter

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun May 13, 2018 2:52 pm

bychosis wrote:I have picked up a 20” bike with a Nexus 3 speed hub. It was cheap and came with a broken grip shifter. I’m not keen on the grip shifter and, in keeping with it being a very cheap bike was trying to repair with spares from the box.

Does anyone know what shifters would work with that style hub? Is the cable pull the same as a front or rear thumb shifter or am I going to have to find another grip shifter to replace it with.

Ultimately I’m probably going to lace it into a 26” cruiser wheel so it doesn’t need to be kid specific, but I’d like it to work for a while on the current bike, even if I need to help junior shift gears from now.
Apparently the Sturmey-Archer SLS3H-T3 thumb shifter works with a Shimano Nexus 3sp.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 15, 2018 6:59 am

The sturmey archer thumb shifter will work & can also be adapted as a downtube shifter. I have a different version on my commuter & they are a nice bit of kit but not cheap. I wonder if they might be a bit tough for little kid fingers.

What shifters do you have in the spares box? A dragster shifter should work nicely.

As always Sheldon has a good compatibility chart & shows sram will also work
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 am

Oohhh. Didn’t think of a dragster shifter. Pretty sure there’s one of those floating around somewhere.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.