Hope mtb or road hub

uad782

Hope mtb or road hub

Postby uad782 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I am considering building up a Stan’s grail rim using hope hubs. I have a set of pro 4s on my 29er and they are great.

Could I use these on the grails?

What is the difference between the rs4 and pro 4? I suppose what I am asking is can I use mtb hubs on a road system?

Road hubs would be disc versions

Thanks

queequeg

Re: Hope mtb or road hub

Postby queequeg » Sun May 13, 2018 5:37 pm

uad782 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am considering building up a Stan’s grail rim using hope hubs. I have a set of pro 4s on my 29er and they are great.

Could I use these on the grails?

What is the difference between the rs4 and pro 4? I suppose what I am asking is can I use mtb hubs on a road system?

Road hubs would be disc versions

Thanks
The RS4 has a 2 pawl ratchet, the Pro 4 has a 4 pawl ratchet. I'd personally go the Pro4 as they are more heavy duty, and make the nice Hope Hub sound.

I am running Pro 2 EVO Hubs on my commuter bike. 6-Bolt Disc.

The only real determining factor for whether you can use the hub or not is the spacing. There is no practical difference otherwise. it used to be that Road Hubs didn't have discs, but with the demise of 130mm as a disc hub standard (if it ever even got a start), with the move now to a 142x12 Thru-Axle setup for Road Discs, it's less of an issue.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun May 13, 2018 11:26 pm

queequeg wrote: The only real determining factor for whether you can use the hub or not is the spacing. There is no practical difference otherwise. it used to be that Road Hubs didn't have discs, but with the demise of 130mm as a disc hub standard (if it ever even got a start), with the move now to a 142x12 Thru-Axle setup for Road Discs, it's less of an issue.
As far as I'm aware, disc brake hub/frame spacing has never been 130mm, unless it was very early in the disc brake piece 20-odd years ago. A handful of road/crossover frames were 132.5mm, but it never took off. The only real thing to be aware of is that most MTB hubs wil not accept road 11-sp. cassettes. Hope however will fit them, so to all intents & purposes there's nothing to really define them as "road" or "MTB" hubs.

The only other potential catch I can think of is that MTB through-axle front hubs will be for 15mm (or even 20mm for downhill), while road hubs are 12mm both ends. There may or may not be suitable endcaps to size the front down to 12mm.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 am

Duck! wrote:
queequeg wrote: The only real determining factor for whether you can use the hub or not is the spacing. There is no practical difference otherwise. it used to be that Road Hubs didn't have discs, but with the demise of 130mm as a disc hub standard (if it ever even got a start), with the move now to a 142x12 Thru-Axle setup for Road Discs, it's less of an issue.
As far as I'm aware, disc brake hub/frame spacing has never been 130mm, unless it was very early in the disc brake piece 20-odd years ago. A handful of road/crossover frames were 132.5mm, but it never took off. The only real thing to be aware of is that most MTB hubs wil not accept road 11-sp. cassettes. Hope however will fit them, so to all intents & purposes there's nothing to really define them as "road" or "MTB" hubs.

The only other potential catch I can think of is that MTB through-axle front hubs will be for 15mm (or even 20mm for downhill), while road hubs are 12mm both ends. There may or may not be suitable endcaps to size the front down to 12mm.
When I bought my Lynskey in 2011, the alternative was the Kona Honky Inc, which came with Disc wheels based on a 130mm hub spacing. I was a bit worried about that given the lack of general availability of replacement hubs, so I wisely went with a frame on 135mm spacing and standard disc hubs. I’d say it was a very short lived experiment.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks for the responses.

Can you please tell me more about the difference between freehubs in general. I am glad I asked the question as I hadn't considered freehub size. I plan to use a 105 11sp freehub.

I have a 10sp XT cassette on my Pro 4. I think I had to put a spacer on first.

Any comments appreciated.