Removing metal hub dust caps

twowheels

Removing metal hub dust caps

Postby twowheels » Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Does anyone know a reliable way to remove metal hub dust caps without causing damage/ deformation to the dustcaps. Some way better than levering off gently with a screwdriver.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Removing metal hub dust caps

Postby Duck! » Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Rest the dust cover on the jaws of a vice, open enough to not grip the cone, and gently tap the cone out of the cover with a hammer. If you bash too hard you'll deform the cover, but gentle taps will leave it in the correct shape. It's the same process to refit them.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 pm

The situation I'm asking about is when metal hub dust caps remain in the hub, ie the cones have removed with the axle from the hub, the dust caps remain in the hub.
I'm thinking of a tool something like an appropriately sized dynabolt that would expand after inserting into the dust cap hole then screwing the nut.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Sorry, thought about that setup afterwards.

They're not usually pressed in that firmly. Careful use of a screwdriver works effectively and rarely causes damage; just work your way around a little bit at a time.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Narks

Postby Narks » Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 pm

You could try the method I use for removing pressed in sealed cartridge bearings from my old Suntour hubs - heat the hub with a heat gun - aluminium expands much more than steel with heat, and the dust cap should just fall out, or come out much easier with a gentle nudge