FSA Chainstay Mount Brakes

juansta

FSA Chainstay Mount Brakes

Postby juansta » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi All,
Recently I had my bike serviced at my LBS... During this routine service I asked them to have a look at my rear brakes as they felt a little gritty...

When I picked up the bike I gave the rear calipers a quick once over (as I knew from previous experiences that their work is a little sloppy) and realised that a small protective insert was missing.

I'm trying to find said protective insert, but Im not having any luck. The LBS is telling me they are also looking, but it's been 4-5 weeks, so I'm not holding my breath.

The brakes are FSA Chainstay Mount (Rear), fitted to an Avanti Corsa Dr 2.

Any idea on where I could find these sort of spares? I feel like it's important as brakes are mounted in a spot where the grime will get to it best...

This is a photo of my brakes...

This is a photo of what it's meant to look like with the cover Im referring to...

juansta

Re: FSA Chainstay Mount Brakes

Postby juansta » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 am

Anyone able to point me in some direction?

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 pm

A quick search: it doesn't look like a part supplied separately. Have you asked fsa directly? They may well post you one free of charge.

2phat2slow

Postby 2phat2slow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:56 am

Juansta.
I feel your pain on this issue as I recently serviced a friends bike on this exact rear brake mechanism, the design is one of the poorest i have seen for the under mount style rear brake and I'm usually a fan of FSA gear. I could not believe the amount of grime that had accumulated in the caliper mechanism in the 3 short months she had owned the bike. The issue arises from the dual pivot pins sliding in a lubricated groove when the brake is actuated. Road grime easily flicks up into the caliber and the lube makes it stick. In order to get the brake performing again, I had to completely remove it from the frame and clean the groove with a cotton bud. Install it without lubrication and the brake becomes "grabby", If you lube it, then in 3 months you are back in the same boat ie. remove, clean, lube, re-install. My suggestion was to replace with an Ultegra equivalent component (which she did). Your money would be better spent replacing the caliper rather than just the dust cover, as in my friends case the cover was in place on both occasions that the caliper needed cleaning out. Grit seems to find its way in regardless but will probably happen sooner without that cover. Other than that disappointing component the Corsa DR was a really nice bike, as i'm sure yours is too.

juansta

Postby juansta » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks for the responses.
2phat2slow wrote: I could not believe the amount of grime that had accumulated in the caliper mechanism in the 3 short months she had owned the bike
This is my main concern... But it sounds like even with the dust cover Im going to have issues.

I will try and contact FSA direct and see where that leads. Sounds like an Ultegra upgrade could be around the corner though...

juansta

Postby juansta » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Just a follow up...
juansta wrote:I will try and contact FSA direct
Got hold of the Australian distributor, and I couldn't be happier. They shipped the part free of charge! :D :D :D

Thanks for the idea redsonic...