Replace bearings on Sansin hub

FelaKuti

Replace bearings on Sansin hub

Postby FelaKuti » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm

I need to replace the cartridge bearings on an older bike which has a Sansin freewheel hub. To unscrew the cover, the Suntour hub tool TA260 is needed. Can anyone recommend a bike shop in Sydney which would have this tool and likely be able to do this work?

10speedsemiracer

Re: Replace bearings on Sansin hub

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 pm

FelaKuti wrote:I need to replace the cartridge bearings on an older bike which has a Sansin freewheel hub. To unscrew the cover, the Suntour hub tool TA260 is needed. Can anyone recommend a bike shop in Sydney which would have this tool and likely be able to do this work?
I vaguely remember Sansin hubs from my days as a SunTour fanatic, and they were good stuff. Sansin (or sometimes Sanshin) made hubs under license for SunTour from what I recall. Not sure of the era yours were made in as I never made it past SunTour 6sp clusters before making the switch to Shimano (because of BioPace mainly), but I recall there were two grades/levels. One was called Sealed System, which was still cup/cone/loose balls albeit with a very effective seal. The other was Sealed Bearing, which was in fact cartridge bearings.
I believe good indie bike shops would have the tool you'll need, although it is available on eBay (not cheaply) also. If you're keeping the wheels/hubs it may be a good move to buy the tool and do it yourself.

Found one on eBay for $18USD : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-TA260- ... SwVuNbHcYD
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

FelaKuti

Postby FelaKuti » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:15 pm

One was called Sealed System, which was still cup/cone/loose balls albeit with a very effective seal. The other was Sealed Bearing, which was in fact cartridge bearings.
I believe good indie bike shops would have the tool you'll need, although it is available on eBay (not cheaply) also. If you're keeping the wheels/hubs it may be a good move to buy the tool and do it yourself.
Thanks for the info. This is a Sansin Sealed Bearing hub on the back wheel of a mid-80s touring bike. I want to keep the wheel as it's got a heavy duty rim with 40 spokes. It came as a 5 speed but I have re-spaced the dropouts and switched to a 7 speed freewheel. The bearings are all original and were spinning fine until I had to soak the hub in WD-40 to get a stuck freewheel off. If I was to do it myself, I'd need bearing puller, any recommendations for a cheap one?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:01 pm

FelaKuti wrote:
One was called Sealed System, which was still cup/cone/loose balls albeit with a very effective seal. The other was Sealed Bearing, which was in fact cartridge bearings.
Thanks for the info. This is a Sansin Sealed Bearing hub on the back wheel of a mid-80s touring bike. I want to keep the wheel as it's got a heavy duty rim with 40 spokes. It came as a 5 speed but I have re-spaced the dropouts and switched to a 7 speed freewheel. The bearings are all original and were spinning fine until I had to soak the hub in WD-40 to get a stuck freewheel off. If I was to do it myself, I'd need bearing puller, any recommendations for a cheap one?
If they were spinning fine beforehand I wouldn't pull them out, but would repack the cartridge with good grease. Freewheel obviously will need to be off the wheel.
Is then a case of getting the dust cover off with a very fine blade (gently) and then degreasing, drying and then repacking before refitting the cover/seal. With the limitations of describing this verbally, I went searching for a vid.

Doing this with the bearing in the hub saves purchasing a bearing puller etc.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go