My bottom bracket seems to have grown onto my frame

septuagenarian

My bottom bracket seems to have grown onto my frame

Postby septuagenarian » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:54 pm

Finally down to the reassembly stage with my Trek reno, well almost, just have to remove the old Shimano BB-LP27 bottom bracket.

The old Trek 6700 is circa 2001 so the BB has had plenty of time to bind onto the frame. Did the usual and asked Mr Google and the general consensus was to start the removal on the side opposite the crankset. Got hold of a Bike Hand brand Bottom Bracket removal tool and soon found out that the teeth in the stuck plastic cover were no match for the steel bike hand tool.

It looks like the teeth on the crankset side may be metal but it is also stuck so I'm going the WD40 route and trying to be patient. If I can get that side out I may be able to carefully tap the plastic one out.

Any ideas on how to get this stubborn little bugger out most appreciated before I have a brain snap and chuck it in the recycle bin.

Tamiya

Re: My bottom bracket seems to have grown onto my frame

Postby Tamiya » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:53 pm

Sure you're turning the right way? :) I'll admit to often start tapping one way then changing direction after its budged slightly

septuagenarian

Postby septuagenarian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 am

I hope so, to remove, clockwise on the crank side and anticlockwise on the other side.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:23 am

WD40 - Water Displacement40. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Get some Penetrene. Get it at Bunnings.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:46 pm

After you've soaked it put a bolt with washer through the tool and in to the axle to hold it into the splines.You may need to go to a bolt shop to get the right length bolt to suit the tool. It's a M8 1.0 pitch (also known as metric fine) That way you can really crank on the pressure using the hex flats and a big spanner. If the tool is the one with the central pin you can knock that out with a punch. You can do something similar with a long bolt to Octalink BBs as well. only needs to be an M6 high tensile bolt in that case.

septuagenarian

Postby septuagenarian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Cheers trevtassie

I'd read about the bolt trick but saw the pin in my tool and didn't think it was a goer.

Thanks for the heads up on the mod.

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 pm

I've had success with putting the tool in a vice and rotating the frame around it, some care is needed but the two times I have used this method its worked quickly with little effort.

septuagenarian

Postby septuagenarian » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Hallelujah, the bloody thing is out.

Knocked the centre pin out of the BB tool and then had the task of enlarging the 6mm hole to slip the M8 bolt through and learnt about the joys of drilling through stainless steel.

It didn't give up easy and I had to muscle it all the way out. The trade-off was the other end that I''d destroyed was now finger tight. Both ends were well greased so I can't figure out why it was so tight.

Anyway I can now fit the new BB and start the reassembly.

Many thanks all for the help. :D