BB386EVO bb replacement options - prefer non-FSA

10speedsemiracer

BB386EVO bb replacement options - prefer non-FSA

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:57 pm

Need the assistance of the collective hive-brain of you guys here please. Friend has a BB386evo that has again failed/gotten creaky after not many kms (this is second one) and I'm just checking in with what others have done instead of using the FSA garbage. Has a FSA 46/30 energy modular crankset and so far has used 2 FSA branded 386evo BBs.

What is the best non-FSA option to replace. I was leaning towards the Wheels Manufacturing stuff, but thought I would check with you lot first as there may be a better option (as in longer lasting).

Thanks in advance,
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Re: BB386EVO bb replacement options - prefer non-FSA

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:23 pm

Rotor do some BB386 options, which are better than FSA stuff. Do bear in mind that many creaky press-fits are down to the tolerances of the frame, so will be noisy regardless of what is in there.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Duck! wrote:Rotor do some BB386 options, which are better than FSA stuff. Do bear in mind that many creaky press-fits are down to the tolerances of the frame, so will be noisy regardless of what is in there.
Thanks Duck, am aware of the frame thing but that's sort of out of my control. Thanks for the prompt response. I was also looking at something called c-Bear from Belgium but 140Euro plus shipping would suck..

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Yep, my first thoughts are ROTOR 3DF or 3D+ - they are good cranksets.

Edit - haha - just the BB, yep, ROTOR still good.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:27 am

HSC ceramics do a lot of different types, I bought a bb from them for a CAAD12 to fit shimano cranks without adapters and it hasn't made a peep in 10,000k's. It doesn't thread together at the sleeve like a wheels mfg but I don't think they can do that with press fits. I have a wheels mfg in my mtb which has been quite good.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:06 am

hiya,

Almost had something similar, but really different back at Xmas last year.

Was looking for a BB to fit a BB386EVO crank into a BB30 frame. In the end, had to get a new frame (long story) so was looking for a BB386EVO to BSA68 adaptor - ended up getting a FSA MegaEVO and after 5,000km, need to change the bearings.

But, as part of my initial hunt, found a whole heap of suppliers that do thread together BB adaptors. If you follow this thread, there may be some alternates to look at.

Probably the key recommendation is the thread together ones. Also, C-Bear will ship to Aus for a reasonable price.

Good luck and let us know what he picks !!

PS - I'm rebuilding my FSA BB with some Enduro 71806 (Angular Contact bearings) that I found in the shed I forgot I had, but am looking at getting some better cups.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:...

PS - I'm rebuilding my FSA BB with some Enduro 71806 (Angular Contact bearings) that I found in the shed I forgot I had, but am looking at getting some better cups.
Thanks for that. The c-Bear was a consideration but have read mixed reports re ceramics in BBs. The Enduro bearings were/are what friend has had issues with and as such is looking for options other than...

Will let you know..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:The Enduro bearings were/are what friend has had issues with and as such is looking for options other than...
The enduro bearings aren't the problem. It's how they are in the frame. I have a praxis BB with enduro bearings

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm only going by what has been relayed, I personally have never had an issue with Enduro bearings and would be extremely inclined to agree with you on this...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:18 am

I think the issue with many of the press fit setup is the bearing alignment that causes the issues, hence the recommendation by many with the 'screw together' type solution

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Agreed, the inconsistency in the alignment NDS to drive side (like having a crankshaft in an engine block that isn't perfectly straight) plus the actual variances in inside diameter of the actual BB shell are what cause accelerated wear due to both/either uneven crank-based force or bearing movement. Almost as if the entire concept were flawed, but then some manufacturers are able to sort of make it work (i.e. not Cannondale)...

And the existence of all manner of 3rd party alternatives and adapters is fairly damning in itself.

No wonder I love my square taper...

Team Panasonic

Postby Team Panasonic » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:08 pm

Reading parts of this thread I started to wonder; I've heard cyclists talk about BB386 and yet others talk about BB386EVO. What is the difference?