Removing Seatpost without scratching

Derouler

Removing Seatpost without scratching

Postby Derouler » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:46 am

Does anyone have any tips on the best way of removing seatposts without leaving all those scratch marks all over them?

march83

Re: Removing Seatpost without scratching

Postby march83 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:11 am

Put a decent amount of grease on it before you insert it for the first time. Try to remove it without twisting it, just gently slide it up

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Helps to remove the burr on inner lip of seat tube too... either sand or file it, or these days I've got a handy burr remover tool (ex welding toolkit).

Derouler

Postby Derouler » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks to both replies. My issue is both these things need to be done before the post is inserted.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:29 am

Derouler wrote:Thanks to both replies. My issue is both these things need to be done before the post is inserted.
IMHO most of the zigzag scratching is due to the burr at the top lip.

Once you're aware of that, it could help to look closely at the clamp. If I find the clamp goes over the top lip & covers it from view... I start making plans to try spread the top lip of the tube at the slot before muscling the seatpost. Often it's as easy as grabbing 2 slotted screwdrivers, place them flat against each other then pry the slot wider.

Or if you have a puller or slide hammer & a way of connecting those to the seatpost, that can reduce zigzag too by tugging it out straight.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

Apply plenty of grease to the base of the seat post then push it back in a bit, then at least you'll have some grease between the inside of the tube and the seat post.