Identifying a Shimano hub

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Identifying a Shimano hub

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm

I've been sent a photo and asked to identify the type of Shimano hub. Seems to me that it can't be identified from the photo. What questions should I ask him to get to the info we need?

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

NASHIE

Re: Identifying a Shimano hub

Postby NASHIE » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Maybe model/brand/year bike they came off if known ?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:07 am

Dunno but has a late 80s/early 90s MTB look to it. Maybe some more pics of the hub and wheel from other angles (?)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks guys, I'll ask him to look for the specs online, its a little old so may not be available. I'll ask him for more pics. Here's the bike itself, BTW its in Japan

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:01 pm

He has come back with this image :D

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 pm

[quote="mikesbytes"]He has come back with this image :D

:lol: How did you reply to that ?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 pm

The RM series is a "non-series" (not part of any groupset) range of general-purpose hubs; RM prefix = road/mountain. The 6 part of the code identifies it to be an approximately SLX/105-level hub, while the 5 identfies it as a disc brake hub. Short version, it's reasonably decent. The big thing to watch for if chasing replacement cones is that it's likely a 10mm axle with step-down ends rather than the normal straight 9mm found in most front hubs. The smaller-than-rear cones with the 10mm hole are sometimes difficult to find.

Shimano's nomenclature is mostly pretty logical once you look into it. The first two letters before the hyphen indicate the individual component (except SM - Small Parts - where the next part of the code suggests where they relate to). After the hyphen the first letter indicates the purpose; R=Road, M=Mountain, T=Trekking/Touring, A=All-purpose, RM=Road/Mountain (parallel to A-series). The first number indicates the spec level, higher number = better. Non-series parts will typically correlate to main groupset gradings. The second digit in three- or four-digit codes is the series evolution, sometimes matching the main groups, sometimes not. The final digit (or two in the case of four-digit codes) identifies particular variations in a model range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:13 am

mikesbytes wrote:He has come back with this image :D
:roll: Some people...
I didn't bother replying earlier as it felt a bit pointless saying "If it's a Shimano hub it will have the word 'Shimano' written on the hub shell and the model code written under it, so assuming you can't see that then it's probably not a Shimano hub".

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks Duck

I'm preempting his next question will be about servicing the bearings. I'm assuming there's a video out there that explains the process

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 pm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:48 pm

He's looking at buying a new assembly. Gut feeling tells me he just has to disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble but its his decision and he's the one who's actually looked at.

He's trying to source this local https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... 0/?geoc=JP

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 pm

mikesbytes wrote:He's looking at buying a new assembly. Gut feeling tells me he just has to disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble but its his decision and he's the one who's actually looked at.

He's trying to source this local https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... 0/?geoc=JP
There's an eBay seller based in Japan (not sure where) called Hobby_Japan whom I have used a few times for Shimano workshop tools and occasionally parts. OK pricing but they do carry small parts. I would agree with you that the cup/cones are probably just needing a good clean and maybe new loose balls but also understand why he would probably want a new kit for simplicity's sake.

Link : https://www.ebay.com.au/str/hobbyjapan/ ... 9316626014

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:36 pm

Does anyone know of a supplier of hub spare parts, especially cones? Hobby_Japan is still listed on ebay, but doesn’t seem to have any goods for sale these days. You can find a few listings for complete hub assemblies on ebay, but the prices are absurd, especially if you only need to replace a cone, for example. I would happily buy replacement hubs, but there is almost nothing of any quality out there that is silver, let alone for rim brakes. Double whammy! fwiw, in case anyone can assist, I’m looking for cones (front and back) for Shimano STX series, and a rear shell for a Deore XT (roughly M770 series).