Convert Peugeot Izoard to flat bar?

alexhunter123711

Convert Peugeot Izoard to flat bar?

Postby alexhunter123711 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:43 am

I have had this bike for a few years now and I really like it, it has a great frame and rides so smooth even though its ~30 years old. The only thing that annoys me is the Tri bars, but getting rid of them would mean putting the gears back to where they should be which means a fair bit of work. I also do not ride the bike that much due to preferring to ride flat bars since I rarely ride over 5KM. So I am wondering if it would be worth changing to a flat bar while getting the tri bars etc removed? Is this something I could possibly do myself? Or would I be better off ordering the parts (flat bar etc) and taking them to a bike shop? Would it be worth it? Is it a waste to convert a road bike to a flat bar?

Not sure how to post a pic?

hitchhiker

Re: Convert Peugeot Izoard to flat bar?

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 am

There’s nothing wrong with converting an old road bike to a flat bar if that’s your preference. Setting up something like the one in the image below isn’t difficult and worth a go if you don’t mind tinkering with your bike

Here are the instructions to post pictures, it would be good to see your current set up
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303

alexhunter123711

Postby alexhunter123711 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 am

More images here:
http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/alex1 ... ry/Peugeot

Thanks for reply, that one you sent looks pretty nice, I'm just not sure how much it will end up costing me money and time wise depending on if I do it myself.. especially since it doesn't get ridden very often. The bike was given away however so I guess I don't mind spending a little. How thick are the tires on the bike you posted btw? I wouldn't mind putting thicker tires on too especially if I decide to use it around town/ commuter.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:08 pm

This is totally do-able, however there will be some parts needed, as in flat bars and a more realistic quill stem, brake levers to suit, shifters to suit and probably a full set of cables. Is not overly complex, but can be daunting if you've not dome anything similar before.

The bars and quill stem can probably be picked up used, from eBay or Gumtree and the shifters/levers/cables would probably need to be new items but aren't overly expensive.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 pm

alexhunter123711 wrote: Thanks for reply, that one you sent looks pretty nice, I'm just not sure how much it will end up costing me money and time wise depending on if I do it myself.. especially since it doesn't get ridden very often. The bike was given away however so I guess I don't mind spending a little. How thick are the tires on the bike you posted btw? I wouldn't mind putting thicker tires on too especially if I decide to use it around town/ commuter.
I think the tyres were 32s, but I recall they were a very tight fit, 28c is probably a more practical option

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 am

plenty of people do it and with youtube tutorials for almost everything it is not a difficult task, secondhand shifters and brake levers(short pull to match your brakes) +a flat bar and your away. Recabling with new cables is a must or you could go single speed if your ride terrain allows, the other option would be to leave the drops and move the shifters back to the down tube as long as all the bosses etc. are there it would involve the least amount of work and no parts if you reuse the cables and leave you with a cool retro ride

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 am

Totally doable - if you're in Melbourne I'll help you out for the price of a beer or two.

Otherwise watch some "RJ the bike guy" videos on the youtubes.

How many speeds? Could you get some brake/shift levers that would fit, and keep the drop bars?

Eamonchur

Postby Eamonchur » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Great bikes, and idea. I'm about to do the same to my Peugeot Aspin. Did y'all stay with 7speed?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TxciyHC3TgLfQy3k6