Advice on gearing options requested...

Where speeds may exceed 60 kmph

Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Maybe you can offer some advice...

My current gearing is 48-15 and I am finding it a little high for races over 6 laps.

Today I purchased two new rear sprockets...a 16T and a 17T. I fitted the 17T but the reduced chain length meant that the rear tyre was hard against the seat tube. So no good, and same with the 16T.

How do you recommend I lower the gearing...
1) Get a longer chain and use the 16 or 17T sprockets.
2) Get a smaller front chain ring.

I have calculated the ratios as follows...
48-15 = 3.20 (current)
46-15 = 3.07
48-16 = 3.00 (need longer chain)
46-16 = 2.88
48-17 = 2.82 (need longer chain)
46-17 = 2.71

So maybe the 46-16 would be a good choice hopefully without needing to change the chain, and enable the rear wheel to have enough clearance to clear the seat tube.

Any suggestions?

Emma
User avatar
CoffsGal
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Mid North Coast NSW

by BNA » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:16 pm

BNA
 

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:16 pm

CoffsGal wrote:Maybe you can offer some advice...

My current gearing is 48-15 and I am finding it a little high for races over 6 laps.

Today I purchased two new rear sprockets...a 16T and a 17T. I fitted the 17T but the reduced chain length meant that the rear tyre was hard against the seat tube. So no good, and same with the 16T.

How do you recommend I lower the gearing...
1) Get a longer chain and use the 16 or 17T sprockets.
2) Get a smaller front chain ring.

I have calculated the ratios as follows...
48-15 = 3.20 (current)
46-15 = 3.07
48-16 = 3.00 (need longer chain)
46-16 = 2.88
48-17 = 2.82 (need longer chain)
46-17 = 2.71

So maybe the 46-16 would be a good choice hopefully without needing to change the chain, and enable the rear wheel to have enough clearance to clear the seat tube.

Any suggestions?

Emma


Em - you'll need another chain if you get serious about playing with gearing so just buy one and run two chains. Obviously make sure you don't cut them the same length!

Personally I push a 15/50. I find 14/50 is good for longer races especially when the pace gets up as long as there isn't much surging. If you're doing a points race you want something a bit higher maybe 16/50 so you can kick a bit without cooking yourself otherwise get on the front and drive it with a bigger gear hoping everyone else has gone high. You've just gotta play with the gears to work it out - no-one can really advise you too much as everyone is different. Most good female riders I know can spin quicker than a guy of similar abilities so you might be able to spin a gear that would have me bouncing like a 2 dollar hooker - you just gotta expriment. I'd probably add a front 50 and a 46 to your tool box. You can't fine tune the gears with the rear sprocket as the steps are just too big.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2969
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Em - you'll need another chain if you get serious about playing with gearing so just buy one and run two chains. Obviously make sure you don't cut them the same length!

Personally I push a 15/50. I find 14/50 is good for longer races especially when the pace gets up as long as there isn't much surging. If you're doing a points race you want something a bit higher maybe 16/50 so you can kick a bit without cooking yourself otherwise get on the front and drive it with a bigger gear hoping everyone else has gone high. You've just gotta play with the gears to work it out - no-one can really advise you too much as everyone is different. Most good female riders I know can spin quicker than a guy of similar abilities so you might be able to spin a gear that would have me bouncing like a 2 dollar hooker - you just gotta expriment. I'd probably add a front 50 and a 46 to your tool box. You can't fine tune the gears with the rear sprocket as the steps are just too big.


Thanks Jack,

I will get the second chain I think, and try the 48-16 and 48-17 combinations at this weekend's meet. if I need something in between I will try a 46T chain ring.

Cheers.

Em
User avatar
CoffsGal
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Mid North Coast NSW

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby CoffsGal » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Purchased a new chain and replaced the 15T with the 17T sprocket...went to the track comp this arvo and found the 17T made me spin too fast...fitted the 16T and it was much better...

ratios...
48-15 = 3.20 (too hard)
48-16 = 3.00 (just right)
48-17 = 2.82 (too easy)
User avatar
CoffsGal
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Mid North Coast NSW

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby alex » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 am

what grade are you in and how old are you?

48/16 is 81 inches which is a tiny gear but i am not really familiar with how the fairer sex set up their track bikes
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 am

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:00 pm

77.8" is a fun street gear.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
User avatar
Verbs & Nouns
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Australia, South

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:06 pm

alex wrote:what grade are you in and how old are you?

48/16 is 81 inches which is a tiny gear but i am not really familiar with how the fairer sex set up their track bikes


Have been competing in road and crits (C grade) for 11 months...best crit average 35.9kph...racing track for 3 weeks...I am 56yo...

The 48/16 does have me spinning quite a bit but seems appropriate for the moment...maybe when I grow up I will try a higher gear... :)
User avatar
CoffsGal
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Mid North Coast NSW

Re: Advice on gearing options requested...

Postby alex » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:23 pm

sounds like it works for you which is all that matters

was just curious re your age etc !
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 am


Return to Track

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit