Track n backs n knees

crazycanuck

Track n backs n knees

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Hmm..I'm a newbie to the track & have some questions about how it affects your knees and back.

WHen you first started out, did you find your knees or back were a bit cranky the day after? In regards to cranky knees, it's only one of mine for some reason. I used a rental bike (but found one 2nd hand that fits!!) w cages..could that have been the issue?

What pedals would you suggest for a newbie to track? I currently have Crank Bros ones on all of my bikes but am wondering if I should be bold & venture to a different horizon?

Core exercises, are there track specific ones?

btw..track burns..ouch!
Thanks
C

Richard.L

Re: Track n backs n knees

Postby Richard.L » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 pm

The reason your back/knees could be hurting more is that tack bikes are harder to handle with your backside/core. Getting use to a whole new setup and putting a hard effort in can contribute to this. I see you mentioned track burns so - The G forces experienced also contribute :roll:
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/02/ ... -handling/

Not really any specific pedals to use cause that would be expensive, Speedplay pedals offer 15 degree float though :mrgreen:

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:26 pm

I asked a similar question about pedals:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=35017

FWIW I ended up getting a set of Looks and use the red (10 degrees of float) cleats.

I too am new to track and really enjoying it- good luck!

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

dont use the crank bros. pedals, but some proper 'road bike' pedals should suffice.
i use my shimano ultegras and just adjust the release tension up a bit (on the rare as hens teeth chance they pull out !!)
your bike set up is much the same as a road bike, although a track wheelbase will be a bit less.

i find 30min on a track bike = at least 60 - 90minutes hard road riding as far as aches and pains go !! - and thats on te flat track where g forces play more of a role

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:04 pm

I got a sore back when I started track and road training back in Sept last year. I put it more down to the fact that work and other commitments hadn't allowed me to do much riding over winter. As a result I figured my body wasn't used to the riding position, and added to that a lot of the club training was sprinting to build up the legs. A lot of core strength is required to keep your body positioned well in sprinting. I knew from previous experience with weight lifting that the soreness was muscular and it would go away. But in saying that it took around a month for the discomfort to go away.

As for the knees I would guess that was a bike fit issue that should go away once you fit the bike properly.

For pedals, anything goes really. Unless you're a full on sprinter, and therefore use straps, anything should work well. Just up the clamping strength.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks guys for your help. I'll have another wander through the links and get more info.

I will continue my strengthening exercises & bug the dudes at my pilates studio for help!

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 am

FWIW is use Keywin Pedals with track adaptors. You still get the float but you cannot pull out. They have been great pedals so far and are reasonably priced from overseas.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.