Help identifying track bike frame I bought

Where speeds may exceed 60 kmph

Help identifying track bike frame I bought

Postby Lachstock1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a track frame from a guy in Sydney (second hand). He had no idea where it came from or who had made it. The serial number has been removed from the bottom bracket, but it's obvious that there was once a number there. There is also a symbol/ numeral which appears as follows: 'S|3' , located on the post of the forks which I am going to assume is a manufacturing stamp of some kind.

The frame is the lightest one I've bought so far, and when compared with some other steel frames I have lying about it appears to be a thinner gauge tubing (please excuse my simple references- I'm a newcomer to home DIY bike maintenance and building)

The parts still left on the bike are all Tange (headset and bottom bracket). And the headset locknut has the word "levin" in italics on its surface. The bottom bracket is made in japan.
I've had a cruise through some blogs and websites and the only similar post I could find mentioned Nishiki as a possible manufacturer?

The lugs are pretty fancy, which is one of the reason I bought it. And they seem to match the forks. I'd like to do a really nice job on painting this frame if it turns out to be something worthwhile and restore this into a nice fixed gear bike as a little project on the weekend. Something tells me this frame is a piece of commercial junk however, but you never know..

If anyone has any idea where I could look or knows or has seen these lugs before I'd appreciate a post! Thanks for taking a minute to read through!
The link below will take you to a few pics I took and posted to flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64159235@N ... 980711466/

Cheers,
Lachlan
Last edited by Lachstock1 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lachstock1

by BNA » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 pm

BNA

Re: Helping identifying track bike frame I bought

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't anything about it, but it is pretty. Post this to the retro section and someone might be able to identify it for you there (yes, it's an old track frame; the oil hole on the bb is a dead giveaway). You may end up knowing more than you ever wished about the bike.

David
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:53 am

I'd be very surprised if that's a Nishiki frame. The parts on it are probably not original.

It looks like a 1950's road frame to me. Rear facing ends and BB oilers were pretty standard fitment back then.

It has some very nice lugs. Good pickup. :D

How much does it weigh? What size seatpost does it take?
rkelsen

Postby Lachstock1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:12 pm

rkelsen wrote:I'd be very surprised if that's a Nishiki frame. The parts on it are probably not original.

It looks like a 1950's road frame to me. Rear facing ends and BB oilers were pretty standard fitment back then.

It has some very nice lugs. Good pickup. :D

How much does it weigh? What size seatpost does it take?

Haven't got an exact weight yet, the post is 27
Lachstock1

Return to Track