What tyre pressure for the track?

Sh4rkbait

What tyre pressure for the track?

Postby Sh4rkbait » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm just curious to find out what tyre pressure you guys are using on indoor wooden velodromes, I have started riding at the Perth Speed Dome and have a lovely set of Vittoria Evo Pista tubs that are good for 145 to 220psi on my fast wheels, I'm used to running 120 - 140 psi in my road and TT tyres on the road for racing and I found out my track pump was not upto anything over 140psi as it f@arted and sh@t its self on thursday when i tried to go over 140, new pump good for 220 on order!

thanks

Matt
Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand.
Argon 18 Electron
Dolan Hercules SE
Specialized Hard Rock Pro

foo on patrol

Re: What tyre pressure for the track?

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Hard to say from my point of view mate, but I was running 140psi in Clement 3s(silk) 35yrs ago. My mate was saying you need gas cylinders now to get them up to 220 plus psi. :shock:

Just try different pressures for night and day racing and see what suites you for your racing! :idea: :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:17 pm

I always thought there was only one pressure for track tires, and that was 50 bajillion psi.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:21 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I always thought there was only one pressure for track tires, and that was 50 bajillion psi.
i thought that till i put my new singles on, and after a while came back, dropped them to 160ish .felt much better !

drb

Postby drb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:36 am

i run continental singles on the perth track that are 185psi max, i have them on around 150-160psi for training and more for racing

alex

Postby alex » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:24 pm

indoor track tyres shall be inflated to the highest pressure possible

whats the point of spending $x bazillion on stiff cranks/wheels/frame/whatever only to lose all that power through a squishy tyre?
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Greenmachine

Postby Greenmachine » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:49 pm

alex wrote:indoor track tyres shall be inflated to the highest pressure possible

whats the point of spending $x bazillion on stiff cranks/wheels/frame/whatever only to lose all that power through a squishy tyre?
+1 (if it's a nice smooth indoor track) also worth dusting off your tires if you're going this high in pressure before each race too, such a small contact area with the boards-worth taking precautions when you're riding so tight with a bunch.

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Sheldon states-
"•An overinflated tyre will have slightly less rolling resistance if the surface is very smooth..."
FME, at the specified manufacturers limits of the tyre, the possible gain or loss might be be miniscule.
Small enough, that it would only be in your head.
Foo is spot on, and something to be aware of, the specified pressure stationary, will change during
a competiton, and chances are, in longer events, increase. Atmospheric conditions count.
An overinflated tyre will give you a very rough ride, with the possibilty in bends, of bouncing
and losing traction, and a fall, so there are the other competitors to consider. If not yourself.
Also an overinflated tyre in competiton, especially in longer events, are more prone to puncture,
which, if your there to compete, could put you out of the race, in an instant (and a fall may occur)
So all things must be considered. What is the "perceived" gain? (if any)- against, the consequences.
Better safe, than sorry.
Better to be there at the end of the event, to do your best, that's where the winners are.
Begin with manufacturers' specs. Those are my thoughts.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.