Cool track photo thread

brentono

Re: Cool track photo thread

Postby brentono » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Another clipping of Track A-grade event in the seventies :mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:40 pm

brentono wrote:Track A-grade event in the seventies... coming home home over G. McVilly (macca)
and a shocked Robinson on the inside. :mrgreen:
Gotta love the fast finisher on the outside Brenton. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Gotta admit i can look at old track photos all night also,and in our house those photos go back to my father racing in Ireland England and on the Continent before coming to OZ in the early 50's .Maybe one day i will work out how to send some of these photos to this thread.Brentono where is that photo taken of you rolling over the boys ,the crowd makes me think Tassie ?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:23 pm

siennatrack wrote:Gotta admit i can look at old track photos all night also,and in our house those photos go back to my father racing in Ireland England and on the Continent before coming to OZ in the early 50's .Maybe one day i will work out how to send some of these photos to this thread.
That would be really good if you could Sienna. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 pm

One of the really nice blokes of the sport. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I dont know if you have heard the story about Clarkey winning the Latrobe wheel off scratch but by all accounts it was nothing short of amazing ,some say he had half a lap to pull back with a lap to go and the train was finished leaving the master to do it all by himself.Those that were fortunate enough to witness the ride still talk with wonder when they tell the story and if your lucky enough to be in the bar with some old trackies when its told you will not forget the admiration in their voices for the ride and the man.One of the best this country ever produced.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 am

Here is one with my mates son, on a tandem at the Australian Para titles. They won the sprint championship. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 am

siennatrack wrote:I dont know if you have heard the story about Clarkey winning the Latrobe wheel off scratch but by all accounts it was nothing short of amazing ,some say he had half a lap to pull back with a lap to go and the train was finished leaving the master to do it all by himself.Those that were fortunate enough to witness the ride still talk with wonder when they tell the story and if your lucky enough to be in the bar with some old trackies when its told you will not forget the admiration in their voices for the ride and the man.One of the best this country ever produced.
He was one of the best finishers in the game and I'm talking from experience. :mrgreen: (I wanted that tv so bad instead I got the vertical griller) :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 am

siennatrack wrote:Gotta admit i can look at old track photos all night also,and in our house those photos go back to my father racing in Ireland England and on the Continent before coming to OZ in the early 50's .Maybe one day i will work out how to send some of these photos to this thread.Brentono where is that photo taken of you rolling over the boys ,the crowd makes me think Tassie ?
G'Day siennatrack, it's W.A. at Midland, the Westral Carnival, which did get great crowds,
not quite as big as Tassie though. :)
Cheers
:mrgreen:

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 am

siennatrack wrote:I dont know if you have heard the story about Clarkey winning the Latrobe wheel off scratch but by all accounts it was nothing short of amazing ,some say he had half a lap to pull back with a lap to go and the train was finished leaving the master to do it all by himself.Those that were fortunate enough to witness the ride still talk with wonder when they tell the story and if your lucky enough to be in the bar with some old trackies when its told you will not forget the admiration in their voices for the ride and the man.One of the best this country ever produced.
Danny, is a character, and a great rider and personally competed against him often.
Caught up with him when he lived in Ghent, when he just began in 6-day, while I was in Europe.
Think the event you speak of is the final of the 1977 Burnie wheelrace.
They had great series of carnivals in the North, at that time, with great crowds (13-14k+)
I enjoyed my time there, and that era had many great riders, and huge events (and big finishes)
Thanks for the photos, Gary. :D
Here's a good rap on Danny,
http://www.ridemedia.com.au/ride21/f%2B ... eat12.html
(? in Ghent- Danny stayed in his own place (he was a loner), and it was tuff,
the rest of the aussies stayed in "the group house" ... some of us, in the roof space :wink: )

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for that link Brenton, I read it when I have a chance. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 pm

I stand corrected Burnie and not Latrobe was the place ,thats great reading about Danny i will show the old boys that get together twice a week at one of our local tracks, they will love it,and if i am lucky i may get to hear some more stories from back in the day.Most of the older riders have competed at high levels and its great to see men in their 60,s 70,s and 80,s still getting it moving on their track bikes.

brentono

Postby brentono » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:10 pm

It was a great article, well researched, and certainly got to the meat of the man.
My story goes... I was at Danny's place just outside Ghent (early 1976) when he came out
with the funniest line I had heard from any cyclist, about his "Singing Career"
It goes "If I wasn't such a great bike rider, I would be a great singer" ... that's Danny,
-he later on, went all out, to show both :)
... and many of the old-boys would have heard that one, I'll bet (those that got up close)
Confidence is one of the requirements, to be a good Pro cyclist, kiddies. :D
Cheers

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey Brentono maybe you have heard of some of these names i have come across in a photo with my father.The year is 1952 and he is hitting the line four across at Fallowfield . Gunter Zieglar 1st Guiseppe Onga 2nd J.A.Ewart [father]3rd Lloyd Binch 4th.At the time all four riders held national titles in their respective countries Germany,Italy,Ireland,England.I think it may have been taken at the news of the world carnival.

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 am

Sorry Sienna well before my time. My Father or his brother, may have known (both passed on now)
if he race in Victoria in the 50's.
Put up some interesting books on here, so may have some Continental info there.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... lit=+books
And have a lot of 50's Victorian progams from some of the events in that era,
so can look out for your Dad's name there (if he raced in Vic?)
Cheers

Edit: My Father or his brother (RIP)
Last edited by brentono on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 am

more on Danny Clark:
http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/10/w ... nny-clark/
And my own anecdote:
back in the early 90's, a neighbour of mine who had just got into cycling went to Tasmania for a ride to raise awareness/funding for organ donations (my neighbour was a recipient of a donor liver). When he got back the very first thing he said to me was "Who's Danny Clark?" - the man himself had given his time to ride along to help out the cause. Not having been riding for long, my mate "knew he must have been famous" but had no idea of his achievements, just that he seemed popular!

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Sienna
A quick look at a scrapbook of Track of that era turned up early fifties starters list
of the World Championships.
Ireland Amateurs- McQuaid, Dowds, McCormack & Ewart :D
Any relation? Quite a lineup at this meet. Have rode this Track also (Gran Prix)
Will see if anything else turns up.
Cheers
Last edited by brentono on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:56 pm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm

That current picture of Danny Clarke looks familiar, is he in Sydney?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey Brentono,how are ya that list you put up of the worlds is 1952 Paris and yes that is my fathers name in the Irish team also the other member is J.Mcquaid father of the current UCI president.Dad was saying that 2 days before he rode the sprints he finished 6th in the world road race in Luxumbourg then rode to Paris for the track titles. Giancola won the road race and some guy called Anquetil finished 9th.He was also saying that Morretini knocked him out in the sprint and went on to run 2nd .He was good pals with Mockridge and Patto and reckons Patto was on form all carnival and Dad wanted to ride the pursuit also but Billy Dowds got the call and then fell cause he couldn't ride the bank.There is another name in the Italian team that he rode tandems with in Europe and thats Pinarello not sure if its the same guy that built frames but we would like to know.Anyway thanks for the clipping as its one he hasn't seen in a long time.Ps there is a bloke here that could move a bit in his time on a track ,you may know his name Ron Baensch ,could be more your vintage ,he still rides a fixed wheel around and hits the track with the old boys twice a week.Cheers

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:That current picture of Danny Clarke looks familiar, is he in Sydney?
He lives on the Gold Coast these days but that's not to say he doesn't travel a lot too....

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am

G'Day Sienna
Got some scans of cuttings, below. Your Dad must have been quite a rider (more than me) and was in
a time of many great names. Anquetil was later, a legend in Le Tour in France.
Raced Ron Baensch at an Australian Kilo Final, at the end of his career, where I finished 2nd.
Not that I knew him, but there are always the stories that go around. On him, think they were true.
Baensch was a character, and certainly had some wild stories (from what I heard) of Europe.
If you get him to talk, he could sure open your eyes, I bet. Sound like some good get-togethers.
Giovanni Pinarello was the founder of "Pinarello" in 1952, so that maybe was the result of his debut. :?:
Edit: On further research Cesare Pinarello (Treviso, 5 October 1932 - 2 August 2012)
was an Italian cyclist who won two bronze medal at the Summer Olympics (1952 and 1956)
Not a relative of Giovanni Pinarello, owner of the factory bikes Pinarello. He is more likely. 8)
Cheers
Amateur 1952 Final- First Enzo Sacchi (right) from fellow Italian-Morettini and Britains Cyril Peacock(left)
Last edited by brentono on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:41 am

Interesting the 3-up Finals in the Sprint in that era (with no best-of 3x)
Must have made for much controversy. :)
Below is the 1952 Pro Final at the same meeting (1952 Worlds).
Good crowd there. :mrgreen:
The quotes go-
(Right to left) Derksen, the best pro finalist, not allowed to get through by Senfftleben
whom the Dutchman then held back; and while this by-play was in progress, Plattner
(who won't know what to do with the title) went by to win. :shock:

Shows the finish of the World Professional Sprint Title. Hailed with delight,
winning, is the 1000 to 1 outsider Oscar Plattner. He beat, Senfftleben,
who is seen interfering with Derksen.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 am

He seems to be giving him a push, but both riders are within the racing line
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Holding, that's why Senfftleben has arm in air in protest.
Derksen was squeezed. Places stood. "We call it squits" in French, was the officials reply.
Oscar Plattner looks like he is smiling, coming into the last bend (I would in that position too :D )